The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this guy up two weeks ago, and at the time it was a BEAUTIFUL plant. Dark green leaves, long roots, happy happy. It now has these brown almost red spots on some of the leaves. My older willow moss is a bit brown, but I believe thats partly from the super glue, and the rest is brown algae, as I can see new growth on it, and it's a happy bright green.

Sorry for the dead yeast on the leaves. Had a bit of a CO2 mess the other day, had to dose H2O2 and tada dead yeast, been doing 40% water changes every 2-3 days or so, but you don't seem to notice stuff until you take a picture.

The rhyzome is sitting above the substrate btw. It's a very leafy plant, so hard to see rhizome.

Tank:
Standard 10 gallon 20x10x12
Eco Complete
Aquaclear 30
Lights: 2 13Watt Micro Mini CFL at 6500K
DIY CO2

Water Parameters:
pH 7.4
kH 6.7
GH 11
72-74degrees Fahrenheit
Water is taken straight out of tap with dechlorinator added to it.

Seachem's Aquavitro line:
Synthesis/Nitrates: .20-.25 mL twice a week (7ml per 250US Gallons)
Propel/Iron: 1ml three times a week (7ml per 70US Gallons)
Activate/Phosphate: .20-.25 mL twice a week (7ml per 250US Gallons)
Also have a Seachem root tab about half an inch away from the Anubias Nana Petite

Only critters are a bunch of MTS that hitchhiked on a plant.

Any ideas of what is wrong with my plant? I was thinking maybe too much iron so I stopped dosing it, but the liquid fertilizers are mostly for all the mosses on the driftwood.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Those are slow growers, so they will often get algae on the leaves in higher light. It's also probably adjusting since it just got moved. I've found that anubias grow best when left alone in low light.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
bad news: i see algae, looks like brown dust and mulm/debris buildup on leaves (had same stuff)
good news: anubias is easy to do a diluted bleach or peroxide dip to kill algae. I left mine in for 30 mins (NOT recommended.. 5 min is usual max for soak), my anubais survived just fine though and spouted a new leaf within 2-4 days.
solution: dip (research ratio of water to bleach or peroxide and be sure to rinse it well after), and reduce light intensity, duration, or find a way to partially shade this plant. I raised my lights 6 inches and took 1 hour off photo period, no more issues with that anubias.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is now (within the last two days or so), sitting under the shade of a moss covered piece of driftwood, where the moss is defusing the light getting to it. So hopefully that will help. Do I have TOO much light in this tank right now? The only other additions will be 2 more Anubias Nana Petite, Fissidens Fontanus, and hydrocotyle tripartita, and possibly more moss. It is pretty bright, but I never thought of the fact it could be too much for the Anubias.

I did use H2O2 , quite a lot actually, to kill off the yeast.. Could I spot clean it with a syringe or should I remove the plant? I only ask because the plant has rooted itself pretty well in the substrate. The photoperiod is quite long, which I never thought of as the problem. What should I back it down too? And what can I eventually build it up too?

Thank you guys for the advice. Don't want to loose my plants. Mostly chose ones that are hearty, because when I get shrimp in the tank, the CO2 is going to be taken out.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have medium light on my 55 gallon and the anubias haven't done that well. I have extremely low light on my 6 gallon (has to be less than 10 PAR at the substrate) and the anubias in there is extremely full and is thriving. I'm not familiar with CFLs, so I don't know how your lighting is classified. But if you're seeing what you are, I bet it's too high for them. Providing them some shade or distance from the light should benefit them greatly.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I did a 50% water change today, been doing one every 2 days or so, as I heard it can help with the algae blooms I'm experiencing by exposing it to air..... is that true? I also dropped back my photoperiod to 6 hours. The amount of algae in my tank right now is monstrous. I have new growth on my older moss, finally, but the algae on it is crazy.

I moved the moss tree so it's sheltering the Anubias more, as to be honest my lights do not let anybody get shade. I don't have a PAR meter, but I'll say this much, there's no noticeable light intensity drop from the top to bottom of the tank. The 2 13Watt CFLs are crazy bright.

http://www.lowes.ca/compact-fluores...t-micro-mini-865-6500k-cfl-bulb_g1589720.html

Those are the lights I'm using. Very very strong....

Thats from the other night when I first added the new moss. You can also see the Anubias hiding. But the way the lights sit in the hood, they reach just about everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.