The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased some new anubias nana petite from mail order 3 weeks ago, the came with dying leaves. i put them in my tank and all leaves died and were gone in the first day. the rhizomes are still green but no new leaf growth still. Does anyone have an educted opinion if i they will grow new leaves or am i wasting my time and should just yank them out. I have good water quality, good light , no CO2 but using flourish excel. The anubias nana petite i had from before is doing fine. Any help? thank you.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Since you got the plants mail order it is pretty safe to say that it was grown emmersed (grown out of water) now that you are growing it submersed it will take time for it to adapt to it's new surroundings. Just give it some time and make sure that the rhizome is not buried under the substrate, just the roots or attach it to a piece of hardscape.

·
Registered
352 Posts
You can take an exacto knife or some other kinda knife and make a little nick in the rhizome, just barely past the level of being superficial and a new leaf should start growing there.

I was told that by my LFS owner and didn't believe it until I tried it and it worked

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
You can take an exacto knife or some other kinda knife and make a little nick in the rhizome, just barely past the level of being superficial and a new leaf should start growing there.

I was told that by my LFS owner and didn't believe it until I tried it and it worked
Does this mean that the new leaves will grow in a bit faster to repair the damage?

·
Registered
9,103 Posts

Don't nick it too much, the plant will die from using all it's stored energy for growth. Just do a couple at a time.
I have never had good luck getting any new rhizome growth from barely nicking the rhizome. I get best results cutting it about 5/8 through in multiple areas. With in about 2 weeks I see new growth coming out and after 3-4 months I have multiple new plants.

Does this mean that the new leaves will grow in a bit faster to repair the damage?
A new Rhizome will grow out of the cuts. New leaves should still grow from the production end of the original rhizome too.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have never had good luck getting any new rhizome growth from barely nicking the rhizome. I get best results cutting it about 5/8 through in multiple areas. With in about 2 weeks I see new growth coming out and after 3-4 months I have multiple new plants.
I've never actually done it before, I was trying to relay a warning I had read in a different thread.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
I've never actually done it before, I was trying to relay a warning I had read in a different thread.
Sure thing. I will say this though. I have never found an Anubis that couldn't recover from, well anything. If you cut it completely in half and sever it from the main piece you will just have another plant in due time.

Anubis are super resilient and cutting the rhizome 5/8th through has yielded the most new rhizome growth int tanks.

·
Registered
728 Posts
This is another really good thread! I was always afraid to cut my anubias thinking it would lead to the whole thing rotting away but i'm deffinately gonna try this on one of mine that has a longer leg on it.

Think i'm gonna use my little 2.5 gal as a little plant grow out/rehab tank. lol

Glad I found this thread!

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Patience of Jobe required for Anubis LOL
I'm learning this myself right now.
The bright side I keep in mind is that once the scape is what I want it will last a good while.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have one plant that I bought about 8 months ago. It only started growing at a visible pace about 2 months ago. It now even has flowers but is still only about 6-7" long.

I'm setting up a new tank and will want to put some of this in that tank. How should I do this? Put a slice in it now to get a new shoot and then just cut it off when the time comes?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Sure thing. I will say this though. I have never found an Anubis that couldn't recover from, well anything. If you cut it completely in half and sever it from the main piece you will just have another plant in due time.

Anubis are super resilient and cutting the rhizome 5/8th through has yielded the most new rhizome growth int tanks.
I had an Anubias that was a bud from my main plant, it was floating and all the leaves got broken off by my Beta. It died within a week.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
I had an Anubias that was a bud from my main plant, it was floating and all the leaves got broken off by my Beta. It died within a week.
An Anubis that has been floating for a while would probably be in a very weakened state. Did you try to scavenge the rhizome? Anubis need not have any leaves to regrow/come back from certain death.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
It hadn't been floating very long. The rhizome sunk after the leaves broke off. I put it where there was no fish traffic. (1 betta goes a lot of places) It got mushy and I threw it out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.