The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an anubius plant that is very tall. I am planning on cutting the last inch of the rizome to get another plant, but the rizome has about four inches with no leaves. Is there a way to get this area to grow new leaves?

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
If you nick the rhizome with a sharp clean razor/blade along the top (not too deep) this supposedly encourages new leaf growth. I've not tried it myself but had read of others doing it. Btw the longer the rhizome cutting the faster is starts producing new leaves. Rhizomes store energy to produce new leaves, so a shorter rhizome won't have as much energy in it as a longer one. If you can make the cut a 2" long rhizome.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I just accidentally broke off a chunk of rhizome form an anubius nana plant I was trying to fit into a space in drift wood. The 1/2 inch piece of bare rhizome sprouted a leaf 2 days later. It's been a week now and the little leaf is about 1/2 an inch already.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you nick the rhizome with a sharp clean razor/blade along the top (not too deep) this supposedly encourages new leaf growth. I've not tried it myself but had read of others doing it. Btw the longer the rhizome cutting the faster is starts producing new leaves. Rhizomes store energy to produce new leaves, so a shorter rhizome won't have as much energy in it as a longer one. If you can make the cut a 2" long rhizome.
Sorry but by nick do you mean just putting a small cut into the rhizome or can I cut a very shallow v notch?

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Sorry but by nick do you mean just putting a small cut into the rhizome or can I cut a very shallow v notch?
Small cut is what I've read.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.