The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've recently set up a 5 gallon nano 5 days ago and I've noticed that the Anubias leaves have started to just straight up turn brown and started melting.

I use Miracle Gro Shake n Feed Slow Release as the fertilizers. When setting up the tank, I put an amount I deemed healthy first against the bare glass then filled it up with my substrate. I haven't actually put in the fert root tabs since I'm still waiting for the gelatin capsules to come in since I ordered it online.

The tank also has some Java Moss and some rotala species but I don't remember which one it is. The only inhabitant is a female betta as well. Water temperature is constantly at 25°C and its cycled already. I put some carbon dioxide in there as well once every two or so days. The light is a CFL 13W 6500K about 4-5 inches from the water line and the photoperiod I have is from 12pm-12am(give or take an hour).

The Anubias rhizome is above the gravel as well. and the roots are very spread out. I don't really know what I'm doing wrong here. Are they having some sort of nutrient deficiency or maybe too much light? The rotalas are growing quite well just a few days after I introduced them into my tank. I checked the forums but I couldn't really find a definitive answer.

Some pictures below to see what I'm talking about!

Bump: Also! A photo of the cheeky lil thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Looks fine to me but diatoms algae. I don't see the melting but pics are small. But they look good.

how u adding carbon, liquid? Doesn't really do much but sterilize certain algae types. Think about diy where u have a stable source as well something plants can take in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If they are diatom algae, is there a way to get rid of it?

I do add carbon through liquid yes. I didn't know they also sterilize algae actually. I dose them regularly every two or so days or does it have to be more stable than that?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've found this problem is mostly caused by lack of flow. You may try positioning slow growing plants closer to your filter intake or outlet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I decided to actually just scratch the surface of the anubias leaf with the end of the chopstick and the green of the anubias came out. So it really was just diatoms! Now just gotta wait it out then I guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts