The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I took a look at my tank yesterday and noticed some leaves on a couple of my anubias plants are somewhat deteriorating. It looks as if someone removed the green skin off of the top and bottom of the leaf leaving the old brown veins behind. The odd part to me is that both plants are producing new leaves, and one of them just sprouted a, soon to be, flower a few days ago as well. I was adding tetra flora pride with my water changes but I thought maybe it was causing some of my algae issues and havent been using it the past few water changes. Does this sound like a nutrient deficiency and should I keep adding the flora pride? Thanks!

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
If these are old leaves, it might just be the natural course of things. First they should turn yellow, then brown, then only the veins will be left. This can happen relatively fast, especially if you have snails and shrimp in that tank who help to keep things clean and pick away at deteriorating leaves.

Whether or not nutrient deficiencies are present in your tank and play part in early leaf loss is hard to say. Some of the ready mixed fertilizers don't contain macros (or just tiny amounts of K), so that could be a possibility. On the other hand, Anubias are slow growers and don't require large amounts of nutrients. Light and CO2 (if any) can play a role too. Hard to say without a lot of additional information.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How is the plant PLANTED? I dont know your experiance level BUT the rhizome should never be buried.
I just have it attatched to some driftwood, the rhizome isnt burried. I went ahead and added some of the tetra flora pride as i think its due to a lack of nutrients. the only way to know is to experiment i suppose. either way the plant is shooting up a flower and still making new leaves so its still healthy i guess. just seems a little strange to me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.