The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an anubias Bartai. I bought it over a year ago and it grew and grew and grew. Then one day, holes appeared in some leaves, and it has melted like crazy. I had read somewhere that maybe it was root-rot. I was also worried it was just to big (the rhizome was like 10 inches plus).

So, I trimmed it (with sharp scissors). I removed most of the deader portions and tried to save what was left. But the melting continues, even as the plants continue to give off leaves.

I also have an anubias nana in that tank which is likewise melting away to nothing. So I don't think it is jsut the anubias bartai.

All the other plants are OK. Ph is abut 7.5, I am dosing some ferts (phospahtes, iron, micros), no CO2 medium light on about 8 hours a day. Nitrates are ON, maybe 20 ppm, maybe a bit less.

Any ideas why and how to stop it will be appreciated.

: )

·
Registered
188 Posts
The rhizome is not buried, is it? I'd tie it to a top of a rock or decor if it's not already. Take it out for a good inspection, trim the bad leaves, bad roots.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tank has a sand substrate with laterite added, but the anubias is on a rock. It is well affixed in fact. It has been on said rock for quite a long time and grew like crazy, including throwing up at least 2 flowers.

I did have one thought. Could a dead area in the tank be a problem? I am a bit worried the way my filter is set up now that that side of my tank doesn't have enough water flow (I think a bit of rearranging is in order).

·
Registered
588 Posts
I've found that most of my anubais species will go thru a phase of die off and re growth. I've had many that I have had to remove pretty much all of the leaves, trim the rhizome and roots and let it re establish itself. I have also replanted them many times over and in different tanks with different conditions, they always recover.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts