The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Will a few days in chlorinated water or a quick bleach dip cause melting in anubias leaves? Trying to figure out what I did wrong.
Hi tapwater,

It is unlikely that it was the chlorinated tap water, there isn't that much chlorine in it; it is far more likely it was the bleach dip. You did not mention the concentration of the solution you used for dipping nor the duration but bleach is a strong oxidizing agent and it is likely it ate away the cuticle layer of the leaf and possibly interior portions as well. The roots may have been damaged as well.

The good news is if the rhizome stays green the plant may recover; attach the rhizome to some hardscape and new leaves (leaf) should appear in a few weeks if it is going to recover. Don't feel badly, there seems to have been an outbreak of plant deaths from bleaching lately.

Personally I do not use bleach to treat plants, it is just too easy to damage leaves, stems, roots, and rhizomes. Also the dosage one plant may be able to withstand another species may not.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys - I have a number of anubias and this one was expensive. The first melt I've experienced. It was also the first quick bleach dip I did. The plant came from a tank with BBA and my reason for dipping it. Had to leave it in bathwater for a week due to delay in spider wood arriving. Did a dip at the same time with some African fern and had no problems there.

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Hi tapwater,

Because the leaves of each species are different each will respond differently to various "treatments." I do hope it recovers for you.

thanks guys - I have a number of anubias and this one was expensive. The first melt I've experienced. It was also the first quick bleach dip I did. The plant came from a tank with BBA and my reason for dipping it. Had to leave it in bathwater for a week due to delay in spider wood arriving. Did a dip at the same time with some African fern and had no problems there.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unsure if it's hanging in or on the way out. Seems to be maintaining. It will be a pain in the neck removing it from the driftwood after attaching it with other plants. It might have been Anubias barteri var. angustifolia or something very similar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.