The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just got this large anubias 3 weeks ago but then I started noticing holes appearing on the leaves and the side of the leaf deteriorating (picture attached).

My tank is a 55 gallon with the following water parameters:
Temp: 72-74
PH: 7.2
KH: 1-2
GH: 4-5
Ammonia & Nirite: 0
Nitrate: ~50ppm
co2 injected - drop checker at green
Running Finnex FugeRay Planted + for 8 hr/day
Dose Flourish comprehensive 1-2 times/week

I've also been noticing my other smaller anubias nana gold are experiencing rot. Had to cut off many portions of the rot already but it seems like it might be coming back slowly. The anubias is tied to a rock and the roots are free floating.

My tank is not heavily planted (5 smaller anubias, 1 large anubias, 2 amazon swords, 2 java fern, and 3 small patches of baby tears). If anymore information is needed I'd be happy to try and provide it. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Where was this plant purchased?

If it comes from a pet store it's likely emersed grown. This means that most if not all leaves will die off over the next little while. As the leaves deteriorate, fish snails etc will eat the soft veg tissue.

My best bet is that it's a pet shop plant and doesn't have submersed leaves yet.

Am I right?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
918 Posts
Are other leaves showing holes and deterioration or just the one? In my experience, plecos tend to rasp the leaf, so it looks like sandpaper has been rubbing on it, and this doesn't look like pleco damage that I have seen. I am not saying that it couldn't be, but it just doesn't quite look like what I see in my tanks. My plecos also seem to favour rasping on the older, outer leaves of Amazon swords.
If it is just the one leaf, I would cut it off and encourage new growth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the feedback.

When I bought this plant it was in a tank floating at the top but majority of the leaves were submersed, besides the parts touching the surface.

There are maybe 1 or 2 other leaves that have this issue but it hasn't been spreading really. This leaf is the one that has continued to progressively decay. I do have 2 Chinese Hillstream Loaches and 4 Chinese Algae Eaters. Would they be causing this issue, and if so, how can I prevent this? Do I not have enough food in the tank for them to eat?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Maybe this leaf was above water and dried out. If the leaf is deteriorating, fish and snails will eat it, but normally anubias is so tough that they don't make a dent in it. If it were me, I wouldn't worry too much about it, and see if it continues with other leaves.
If there is any rot in the rhizome of the other anubias, make sure to cut back to healthy tissue. You can clean your cutting tools with hydrogen peroxide (3%).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.