The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I run a 16 gallon UNS 40c. On the whole it is doing very well and has been at "maturity" for about a year now. It's almost a set it and forget it tank at this point, and I don't do much other than regular water changes and fertilizer, and food for the very few inhabitants in there.

Here are the specs:

UNS 40c tank
Kessil A160 light on full power, white color
Tropica aquasoil
Ironwood (a good bit)
Dragon stone
Oase Biomaster 350 (HIGHLY recommend to anyone evaluating a new filter; best I've ever used and so damn easy to maintain compared to Flex etc.) with Seachem Matrix and Purigen

Plants (mostly easy category) - marselia hirsuta, crypts (parva, wendtii red and green, and sri lanka), java fern (regular trident, trident mini, phillipine, narrow leaf mini, regular, and regular mini), ludwigia ovalis, hygrophilia pinnatifida, mini christmas moss, anubias nana and nana petite

Weekly routine/fert - RO water remineralized with SaltyShrimp GH+ to GH6, 25% water change (sometimes 50%, just depends), three pumps of Niloc Thrive+, C02 at 1 bps

Inhabitants - 5 amano shrimp and 5 dwarf golden barbs; several pond snails and two assassin snails

All in all, I don't have much to complain about. No real issues with parameters. Water clarity is excellent. Inhabitants are great. My one lingering issue is that I constantly have tiny holes in the leaves of all plants except for the ludwigia, the hygro, and the marselia. I am a little baffled that the easiest plants, namely the java fern and the crypts, seem to be doing the "worst" (which is relative since everything is doing pretty well). From a few feet away, you can't really tell. But if you get up close you can see the holes. I trim out the old leaves and new ones do well, but eventually I end up with more holes :(. Anyway, any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
Are you only fertilizing the water column? That was the impression I got from your description in the post.

It could be that your fast-growing plants (hygro, ludwigia) are using up all the nutrients before the slower plants can get a sufficient share. For the crypts, an easy fix is root tabs. The java ferns though don't really root deeply into the substrate, so they're a little more dependent on the water column having everything.

·
Registered
629 Posts
That seems like a Potassium issue?

Nice tank, by the way!

2 things I noticed with your regimen.

3 pumps Thrive seems a tad light? Even though you should be at 15ppm K for the week, can you trust that every pump is at 2ml? And then if your co2 is at capacity (fyi, bps doesn't mean much by itself to assess co2, better to know your ph drop from completely degassed to full co2), you could be going through all the K leading to the pin holes? EI dosing suggests an upper end of 30ppm.

Water changes need to be at, our above, 50% every week. This comes into play if your nitrates are at our above ideal but you need to dose more due to low Potassium (if it is a Potasium issue). I also suspect that this is more important for smaller tanks than for larger. I know my 10gal co2 suffers when I'm less than 50% per week.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.