The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some Anubias and the label that came from LFS, but googling their supposed name returns exactly nothing, so I have a feeling they are playing it loose at least with the spelling.

Anubias A (Anubias barteri var gabon?)

Anubias B (the word looks like coffeefolia but it cost a lot more than the usual coffefolia)

Both of them are around the same size, with the later slightly bigger and lighter green. The leave size is between the usual Anubias barteri var barteri and var nana.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Not sure about the firs one, have not heard of that name, but there seems to be a lot of hybrid/new species popping up... Googling gabon gets some hits, but photos are best quality so can't compare to yours for a 100% id.

The second one looks like a small coffeefolia to me-has the distinctive lines in leaves and the red hue in stem (not rhizome rot-coffeefola has some red pigment in it). If its true coffeefolia newly sprouted leaves should start in orange/tan looking and turn green.

I notice a lucky bamboo stock in the background-do you have its leaves above water? Its often mis-sosld as an aquatic plant but the leaves need to be above water.

Also looks like you have other anubias in the tank. If you are buying new anubias its best to quarantine them for up to a month as they can get a contagious disease known as rhizome rot. Putting an infected plat in with others will spread the disease through the water column and you can loose a whole collection in 1-2 months (happened to me).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the answer.

Yes the lucky bamboo is emersed.

I have other anubias with wavy lines, I assumed they are coffeefolia. But this one is the only one that has red on in rhizome.

FWIW, the first one appears to be the fastest growing anubias among what I have. In the 3 weeks that I had it, it sprouted 1 leaf and 2 more on their way. Pretty fast for anubias in a non CO2 injected non excel tank. In the same time period the barteri var. barteri only managed 1 leaf (though its a larger leaf).

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Well there is wrinkle leaf, nana wavy, and coffeefolia that I know of (may be some others), each have the wrinkle/lines in a different way from the other.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.