The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking everywhere online for the general height of some different anubias types and I'm getting some conflicting information. For example, I read somewhere that congensis grows from 8-12", but somewhere else I read it grows from 12-24". I know a plant isn't going to grow to exactly 10 inches and stop but I want to know which would be definitely taller and how tall they've grown for you. I'm going to redo my 29 and make it an all anubias/driftwood tank so I want to make sure I don't have a taller growing plant in front of one that's going to grow 6 inches tall.

These are the ones I'm interested in: congensis, angustifolia/lanceolota(I think those are very similar?), frazeri, minima, and barteri. Maybe list them from shortest to tallest in your experience or just let me know the max height they've achieved for you.

I've hated my 29 for a couple years and now that I'm finally getting around to turning it into something I'm happy with, I want to make sure I get it right. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Asking what others have experienced is not going to be indicative of what is likely to happen in your tank. Every tank is different. Your best bet is to just get the plants in your tank scaped within reason as to projected heights. Some will grow taller than expected and some shorter, then you simply reposition to suit your tastes. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
A. barteri will have stay short, provided that the rhizome is horizontal to the substrate. If you mount it on a piece of driftwood and the rhizome is positioned diagonally, the rhizome will eventually creep up the wood and the leaves will poke out of the water. I have pulled and hacked apart foot long A. barteri rhizomes before. However this growth took a long time (over a decade) to achieve in a low tech setup.

The other anubias you listed will grow taller than A. barteri, specifically the A. congensis and A. frazeri.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts