The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have this in their tank? I just got one and am now wondering if it will last past 2 months in my tank after reading the below article. It states.

"The arrow-shaped and triangular varieties unfortunately aren't suited for long term aquarium imprisonment, and can only survive in it for about two months, after which they must be placed in a greenhouse for reabilitation."

TopTropicals.com - home of a gazillion plants

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
usually called an arrowhead and they are marsh plants so they are not true aquatic plants. probably will survive when they it starts to die it will rot and ur tank will go blah

·
Registered
594 Posts
I've had trouble with the arrow and some of the lance leafed anubias in my tank too. Usually turn yellowish and disintergrate over time while the broad leafed kind flourish next to them. I do have a mini variegated lance leafed variety though that seems to do better than all of them (reading the post I remember it was sold to me as a variegated Minima or garbon?). There is also a really large broad leafed variety that does great too.

Tina

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Truly, anubias are terrestrial.
The varieties we have come to love are just well suited for the aquaroiium, were as some aren't.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I wouldn't say terrestrial, they are marsh plants, semiaquatic, growing on river banks and only rarely fully submerged. But they are still used to moist conditions.

I wouldn't try to submerge A. gigantea. It might like it better in a paludarium or an open top tank where it's tied to a stone or root and most of it grows above water. I don't have any personal experience with this species though, only with some other large ones.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bummer, I guess you really need to check out evey plant before you buy. You would think a LFS would not sell a plant that could not stay submerged. It could be a "Anubias hastifolia". Does any one know about those? Also I have a huge "Anubias Congensis" that I also just put in about 3 weeks ago. I hope it can stay submerged but let me know if any of you know for sure, Thanks all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts