The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
when they're out of the water, they absorb nutrients through their roots instead of leaves.. so we need a little garden soil.
anubias do better emersed... Java ferns can be emersed but the humidity in the paludarium has to be really high... And they need a source of CO2 too.. turtles and frogs can provide that.

i don't have a paludarium but I asked a guy on some forum about his plants.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I just stuck a small nana in the land portion and it has grown, but not any faster than submerged. I also put some moss from my back yard in the tank and it is doing well. I did nothing special, and the substrate on the land section is shultz aquatic plant soil.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just stuck a small nana in the land portion and it has grown, but not any faster than submerged. I also put some moss from my back yard in the tank and it is doing well. I did nothing special, and the substrate on the land section is shultz aquatic plant soil.
Sounds Good. I guess I'll give that a Try first. I have plenty of anubias to test with.

Thanx Guys! :proud:

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, bringing this back up again.....

Its setup. I added two of the large Arrow-shaped Anubias--Anubias pynertii and gracilis, I believe. Their rhizomes are under water, but the leaves stick up was passed the water. The leaves are now withered. The setup is 31" tall with a screen top. I now have water running down on the back and one side.

I would like to add some nanas to this, but I don't want them to just wither. They are submersed and I want to add them as emersed (I already have added some submersed). I also have minima, congo and others to work with......:proud:

Should I add a plexi top to the setup to help keep the moisture in/humdity up? Or will the Anubias just go through a "Change"?

Any help is Greatly Appreciated!

Thanx!

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Growing Anubias Emersed

Does anyone had luck growing Anubias emersed so far?

I tried searching the web about this topic but no good advice so far so Im bringing this back.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Lots and lots of humidity. I've grown them emersed in a very moist 29g tank with a glass top. I made a little space in the top for some air circulation and misted the tank daily. Even if my humidity dropped to 75% the leaves would start to wilt.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
i have a 55 that uses tall emersed crypts as background plants and emersed Anubias barteri and ferns as midground plants.

here is a shot of an A. barteri on a trellis raft.

overall it is very easy to grow Anubias emersed. they do seem to take some time to transition between the two kinds of environment--during which they do not grow very much--but once they adapt they grow faster than underwater. it is important that humidity be maintained very high. i cover the tanks where i have emersed Anubias and for plants that i have recently moved from the water i also place an airstone directly beneath, so that droplets of water will splash up onto the leaves.

they also bloom freely as emersed plants. like crypts, they are aroids. here is one of the spathes that i got.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I took one rhinzome of anubias barteri out of my tank (It took too much space) and put it in a jar with tight seal. I experimentaly put it on a windowsill relying only on sunlight and suprisingly it grows very well, much faster than submersed. I open the jar once a day and change the little water it has once a week, and well, that's it. Two days ago I bought a home depot desk light and 10g tank and I will experiment growing emersed with some of my plants (so far I planted anubias, HC,dwarf hairgrass, sunset hygro and anubias nana).

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Lots and lots of humidity. I've grown them emersed in a very moist 29g tank with a glass top. I made a little space in the top for some air circulation and misted the tank daily. Even if my humidity dropped to 75% the leaves would start to wilt.
Did you have problem with algae? Is there a CO2 injection use in your set up?

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
here's another one of mine, an A. gigantea in a hanging planter.

this plant has a graceful shape.

i have the impression that some of the larger arrowhead-leaved Anubias, such as gigantea, actually really can't make it long term planted fully immersed and are better grown as emersed plants. this one has done well for me.

emersed Anubias shouldn't require any extra CO2: they ought to get all they need from the atmosphere, just like any other plants.

some of the Anubias that i have kept as emersed plants have developed white molds on their leaves, although they did not cause the plants any obvious damage. misting can help to prevent these molds.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Did you have problem with algae? Is there a CO2 injection use in your set up?
No I never really had algae problems, just tiny gnats for a while. No CO2 either, but I misted the tank with a Monty's fertilizer/water concoction.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
here's another one of mine, an A. gigantea in a hanging planter.

this plant has a graceful shape.

i have the impression that some of the larger arrowhead-leaved Anubias, such as gigantea, actually really can't make it long term planted fully immersed and are better grown as emersed plants. this one has done well for me.

emersed Anubias shouldn't require any extra CO2: they ought to get all they need from the atmosphere, just like any other plants.

some of the Anubias that i have kept as emersed plants have developed white molds on their leaves, although they did not cause the plants any obvious damage. misting can help to prevent these molds.
That website looks great.
Thanks for posting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.