The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

This is my first post about my first planted tank (which I started a little over a week ago). I recently bought some Anubias Nana, Golden, and Petite from Aquarium Plant Factory. I also bought various kinds of bucephalandra.

After putting the Anubius into my tank on a Friday, I noticed that a bunch of holes were appearing in the leaves. Then on Sunday morning, the leaves had turned completely black and were getting slimy. Then the rhizome started looking fuzzy and when I poked the rhizome with tweezers, they were mushy to the touch. In fact, the water started stinking, and all the anubias, expect for the petites, started suffering. The Anubias all disintegrated within about 4 days of opening the package.

Since the package was in the mail for 7 days, I thought maybe the Anubias had frozen in the post. However, today, the Bucephalandra began to exhibit an eerily similar rhizome rot. One portion of the bucephalandra's rhizome had become black and mushy, and sure enough, it had spread to the other buce as well...

Now, I'm almost certain (from reading virtually every other extant post on the matter) that this is in fact Anubias disease and not some other cause, and I'm pretty sure my bucephalandra is moribund at this point.

My main question is this: what other plants can I expect to lose from this disease?

I also have:
(1) Lidwigia Repens
(2) Java Fern
(3) Amazon Sword
(4) Valisneria
(5) Crypt Wendtii Green

Are these going to be safe from Anubias disease? I read in another thread that Bucephalandra can be infected (which is rather clear to me at the moment), but I'm particularly worried about the Java Ferns.

Does anyone have any experience with this disease?

It's my first tank, and I was so excited for the Anubias, so this has been a more difficult experience than it should be...haha

Thanks,
Donny

·
Registered
782 Posts
If you can cut away the bad parts on the buce, you might be able to salvage something. Put each plant in a quarantine cup of it's own though so that any that survive aren't re-infected by others.

Your stems should be ok, and I'm 90% sure the java fern will too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you can cut away the bad parts on the buce, you might be able to salvage something. Put each plant in a quarantine cup of it's own though so that any that survive aren't re-infected by others.

Your stems should be ok, and I'm 90% sure the java fern will too.
Thanks for weighing in! I'll try doing this!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts