The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In doing my research I see you many plants can be trimmed and new plants can be planted from its trimmings. Can this be done with anubias bateri?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
You have to cut the rhizome of the anubias and replant it. Make sure the rhizome stays above ground or it will rot and the anubias will die

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I suggest not cutting the rhizome into pieces unless it is quite long.
Even then the tank should be clean with fresh water if attempting to keep it alive.
Bacteria can get into the rhizome through the cut ends unless those are sealed, causing the rhizome to rot from the inside out.

A suggestion is to just let the rhizome grow. Over time a single rhizome can take over an entire tank. Cutting it forces the plant to heal itself and waste energy.

-Gordon

·
Registered
501 Posts
Cutting may be the only option. In my case I have a 10 gallon pressurized set up. In 18 months my rhizome grew from 3 inches to 8 inches or more with at least 5 major branches. it is now almost taking over 1/3 of the entire substrate & grows into the glass & up! If I do not cut it , it would over run my entire tank. I get at least 3 or 4 new leaves a week!

Cutting may injure the plant but my plant heals well. I would suggest using a razor blade single edge or double edge, but I would wait for the plant to become well established before making your first cut. I have cut 3 new plants out & they all seem to be taking. However some root & leaf melt may occur if placing in different tanks with even slightly different conditions.

One new plant went into my low tech dirt tank recently & some root melt happened but new roots are growing out but as said always tie onto wood or rocks. I prefer flat rocks. Just pay attention to the way you cut it. Do not use scissors!

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I have no personal experience with cutting rhizome, but I did have a nana that my pleco destroyed crashing through several times. It barely has any rhizome to speak of and only 4 leaves that have not grown to full size.. so I'm not sure if its dead or not.. It defiantly had an issue with rotting where it was torn since I just left it. Recently I took a razor blade and cut off the rot.. hence the lack of rhizome now. Its grown a few long roots since then but not much else so I'm giving it a few more months to see if it wants to grow some leaves or not...

Anyways I don't know how reputable it is but here's a video on cutting anubias form youtube, use a clean fresh razor for good cuts.

edit: after watching another video i think I'm going to have to cut my new petite (noooo) it was mentioned that yellowed rhizomes need cut (in the green area) and this one has a bit of yellow so going to pull it out and slice with a razor blade, hopefully it doesn't start rotting on me.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I pull mine out about every 3 months and split it up by cutting the branches off and placing them in new spots on the driftwood (trying to cover the entire wood), I then put little slits down the side of the rhizome. These slits turn into new growth (branches) in about 2 weeks. Starting the process over again. 1 little 3 inch rhizome has produced me 8-9 4 inch new plants in about 8 months.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually need to get a decent pair of scissors but thee only ones I've seen online are upward of $80 (seems a bit much for a pair of scissors to me) I've been using a pair of kitchen scissors, they're very sharp but way too big.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I notice in the video it calls for the anubius rhizome and roots to lay on top of the substrate not under it. I have 3 anubius in my little 5 gal fluval that are planted in the gravel. They've been in there for about 3 weeks now and appear to be doing just fine. In fact for a slow growing plant I've seen some growth already. Should I pull them out of the gravel and re plant?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes I covered the hell out of the rhizome oops lol. Have to take care if that when I get home

1 - 16 of 16 Posts