The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
That's actually as much of the plant as you want buried. I generally attach mine to driftwood but I think this should work too, as long as the rhizome doesn't end up in the substrate.

·
Super Moderator
11,955 Posts
The way you have pictured your Anubias is fine. As Digsy mentioned, I would personally attach it to driftwood (i.e. with black cotton thread or fishing line) rather than plant it into the substrate. However, as long as the rhizome remains above the substrate, you should be fine.

·
Registered
217 Posts
After attaching the Anubias to driftwood, do you need to do anything? How long till it attaches itself?

Is it a good idea to cut some of the existing roots - to stimulate new root growth that will grip the driftwood?

Asking, because my Anubias, attached with thread, does not seem to be doing anything. Someday, I'd like to remove the thread. I assumed it would start to take hold of the wood on its own.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Anubias is a slow growing plant. It will take a while before it grows very many new roots. Trimming of existing roots will encourage new ones to grow.

·
Super Moderator
11,955 Posts
After attaching the Anubias to driftwood, do you need to do anything? How long till it attaches itself?
You don't really need to do anything except for wait. It might take a few months before the Anubias has anchored itself to the wood.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The way I attach annubias to driftwood is that I cut ALL the roots off as close as I cane to the ryzone. I the place it on the driftwood and tie it or staple it in place.

The roots "usually" start to grow back fairly quick. Some of them are obviously "not" attached to the wood. Some of them though, you can plainly see are attached. they look like the are "hugging" right allong the contours of the wood.

Once you see some of those roots, you can remove the thread or staples.

Anyhow, that's what I do and it works for me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have my anubias attached with a rubber band to a half of coconut what I boild for about 3 times before and make a bunch of holes in it and tied down a lot of java ferns around to keep company.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts