The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm always a little confused when trying to know exactly what each different anubias is in terms of scientific classification. I know that coffeefolia, nana, petite, and broad leaf are all part of the Anubias barteri complex, and that there are a few others that I believe also fall under this species, such as micro (and I'm assuming snow white and variegated and stardust as well).

I'm just wondering what variations belong to this species and are not a different species from barteri.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is one pet peeve I have about this hobby. A lot of plants aren't correctly identified, or go around under the wrong names and aren't what people think they are.

Or there are varieties that it is then realized what species they come from, but no one ever mentions it and it is still talked about and sold in the hobby without being a known species.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Definitely. We need to stop using trade names and use only genus, species and if no species, then a region name...not junk like "butterfly" or really outdated names like ammania bonsai and ludwigia peruensis. It really grinds my gears.

Generally speaking, if a species name isn't given like congensis or hastifolia, it's a barteri cultivar.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wait, I thought Ammania sp. Bonsai WAS the proper name for that plant (I've seen it called Rotala Indica 'True' which makes less sense to me tbh). What is that plant supposed to be called then?

And yah, I feel with anubias though, you can find things online claiming congensis to be Anubias congensis, as if its a different species. Doesn't help either that some barteri cultivations look like different species of anubias that are legitimately different species.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
It's definitely not an Ammannia, but it is, without a doubt, Rotala indica (no caps on the species). The real one, not mislabeled R. rotundifolia, hence the 'true' label many people use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.