The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just LOVE anubias but I was wondering what types are actually aquarium safe. Iv looked up Plant Geek and a few other sites. But Im just looking to see if there are any more. Also I cannot seem to find anything about the Anubias Sharp.

Can you add wild plants to you aquarium and how would you clean them. How about bogwood how can I assure I kill all things on bogwood.
I once added bogwood after soaking it in hot scalding water for 4 days refilling it 2xs a day and still got one of those stupid dragon fly larva. Still not sure how as it was store bought dry bogwood. But I clean and check plants.

·
Registered
160 Posts
To clean plants a dip in 1 part bleach 10 parts water solution. Just be careful not to get any bleach on the roots, can kill the plant. As for wood u can bake it.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
You have to soak the wood in salted water for a long period of time too.. 1-2 weeks and then boil it.. or bake it... Baking it would tend to burn it.

There are many species of anubias but only a few amphibious ones. The ones you see as aquarium plants are the amphibious ones.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a anubias Frazeri and just now while doing my WC a few leaves fell off. When ever I search it comes up able to be a aquatic one. But the rhizome is pink [like when I got it] but where the leaves attach is white. This is a HUGE [12+] plant I would hate to loose it. The leaves are beautiful its been in the tank 2+ weeks I bought it on aquabid. could it have been grown emersed? If so how would I get it to become aquatic

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
yeah, it was probably grown emersed.... When you put it in your aquarium, don't bury the rhibozome. It'll start to die.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No it not burried its tied [rubberbands] to the bogwood. But where the leaves attach to the rhizome is white. Since Iv placed it into the aquarium 2 weeks +/- ago its lost 6-8 leaves. Some the bigger older ones some smaller.
I do dose dry ferts and micros everyother day [opposite] and wednesdays are WC days. Its a med/high light tank with floaters and many plants including many other anubius, java ferns and a lace leaf. This tank is almost 6 months old +/-. Besides all the plants iv been getting. It has a eheim 2026

I was a goldfish tank then they all died [before I knew about cycling] about a month after I bought the 55g and a nice huge $20 goldfish. Then I found out about plant tanks and started planning one. And now Iv had a nice planted tank since August.

·
Registered
663 Posts
"To clean plants a dip in 1 part bleach 10 parts water solution. Just be careful not to get any bleach on the roots, can kill the plant."

That's too much bleach. It should be 1 part bleach to 19 parts water. For a large-leafed plant like anubias you can soak for 3 minutes then immediatedly rinse in water containing 3x the normal amount of dechlor, then under running water for a few seconds. Repeat rinses if you still smell bleach.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
hmmm. don't worry about the anubias then.. It was grown emersed.. The plant should send out new leaves under water... Those leaves will be true aquatic.. My anubias did the same thing.

And you can use hydrogen peroxide to sterilize plants.. It take a little longer but much safer.

·
Registered
663 Posts
How long do you soak in hydrogen peroxide?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts