The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I just recently converted my gravel tank into a dirt and gravel tank. I've only had these two anubias afzelli for about a week or two, and they never looked this bad till I placed them into the newly dirted tank (miracle grow organic, did not use clay etc. just put the gravel over the top of it after it turned muddy). The old tank just had this same gravel substrate and was not dosed nor had any tabs in it at all, even the water was the same roughly (from the same source and treated with the same chlorine remover). I'm not sure what the issue can be, but every day the leaves start to "crisp" up and they also get slightly more yellow/brown. I'm still new to the whole plant world in a fish tank, and everyone I talked to said that these were a easy beginner's plant (just like the Java Fern I have that seems to be doing very well in this same tank).

I've done plenty or water changes and the issue isn't going away, is it something that I'm lacking (since I'm not doing any CO2 doses etc. currently). The temperature set to around 74-80, and there are currently no fish in this tank. It is only the plants, filter running, and a air wand/stone in the back. The heater is inside of the tank, however with the current weather it's been more hotter and the heater doesn't even kick on anymore (set to 74).

The other plant that is in this photo I just recently picked up, hence why it doesn't look so "great" either. However when I got the Anubis it was dark green and the leaves would fully extend outward.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
The other plant looks like wisteria in emersed form.

I don't see the damage you are referring to on the anubias.

Can you do an ammonia test? Miracle grow can run pretty rich in the beginning and may release too much ammonia which can burn and harm plants.

Anubias also sometimes suffer from "anubias disease" which rots stems and leaves.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The other plant looks like wisteria in emersed form.

I don't see the damage you are referring to on the anubias.

Can you do an ammonia test? Miracle grow can run pretty rich in the beginning and may release too much ammonia which can burn and harm plants.

Anubias also sometimes suffer from "anubias disease" which rots stems and leaves.
It's hard to tell from the photos, I think it's the angle. But before the leaves were spread out more, now they keep on coming together like a flower wilting (if that makes any sense) and turning a softer yellow as well.

Hm, didn't know that. I'll have to test it when I go out and grab a test kit in a few days.

The roots and rhizome seem to be very healthy from when I put it in there.

Pull up that anubias rhizome and attach it to a piece of wood or a rock.
I've heard of this, from the angle it looks like it's all buried but I have the rhizome sitting above the gravel/on top of it, and the roots are slightly buried (was trying to make it find the nutrients of the soil behind the layer of gravel). Should I pull the whole plant up more including the roots or is this fine as it is?

Thanks for helping me out guys, sorry I'm a noob at best with real plants and a dirted tank.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
If it's attached to a piece of wood or rock, the anubias will find the substrate on it's own and eventually send its roots into the substrate. Besides, there's enough nutrients leeching from the dirt into the water column.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts