The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone I finally got aquasoil cycled adn now I have an algea problem here are my tank specs

29gal
ada amazonia aquasoil
around 30ppm co2
EI dosing - nitrate( I am staying right at 20ppm due to the soil)
I run 65watts of light for 10hrs with a 3 hour blast of another 65 watts in the middle of the lighting period
see my signature for the actual plants list and tank pics.

The puzzleing thing is this algea started bright green!! and now has turned brown. It is growing on everything including the glass and substrate. I don't see any more green stuff though.
I added 4 oto's and 2 SEA yesterday to try and clean it up. Any clues what it is and how to get rid of it??

·
Registered
43 Posts
Honestly I have no idea what kind of algea this is. However, considering this is a new set up I would reduce the lighting schedule to only 1x65w for 7-8 hours at the most, untill your tank is fully cycle and well balance. From there you will be able to increase the lighting slowly while adding a short mid day 2x65w blast. In the mean time try manually removing as much as you can of it.

Good luck.

JP

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here is a more focused shot. I think it is starting to slow down. I am removing it as much as possible

here is the new problem algea!! this really looks like clado

at first I though BBA but this stuf is a course texture. it's almost black though?? Any ideas?? I will reduce my lighting schedual to try and keep it in check.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Whats the plant growing on the wood in the third picture?

I would do a 60-75% WC and dose a little extra ferts immediately afterwards. Make sure you've got at least 1.5 ppm of PO4, and increase your CO2 a little bit...

If all else fails --> blackout, and repeat..

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
the last picture is staghorn algae! you have to remove every trace of it and crank up the co2, or excel and it will not come back. i'm not sure what the first one is, but i just had a MAJOR outbreak of it myself and have torn my tank apart in an attempt to get rid of it. all algae is due to an imbalance whether it be light, ferts, or co2. in probably 7 out of 10 cases, it's from a lack of co2. i would maybe try 65 for 8 hours and then the blast of extra 65 for 2 hours. i would get some excel and regularly dose your tank with it and also crank up the co2. lot's of water changes while getting rid of the algae!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Good pics on that site.. however, what they have labeled as staghorn is clado...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts