The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the problems that occur when you have something you want to learn how to deal with, so you search for posts about it, using the search command, and you find lots of conflicting advice. It can take a long time reading those posts before you get a glimmer of what might be helpful to you. Today I was thinking about something I recalled reading here that was posted by plantbrain, who can be relied upon for good advice. But, finding that post was very hard - in fact I didn't find it.

So, I found the "Members List" at the top of the page and clicked on it. It took a few pages to find "plantbrain" among the members, but when I did I found a column named "Find Posts", and clicked it. That gave me a huge list of the posts authored by plantbrain, organized so I could see what the subject was, and click directly to that post. That's when I realized what a great "text book" this was. I clicked many of the posts and learned or relearned lots of stuff.

If you are relatively new to the hobby you can very quickly get some up-to-date advice on many aspects of the hobby quickly. It is good reading, too! I strongly recommend this for anyone, even if you just want to pass an hour or so learning some relevant stuff.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
For searching around on this forum I've been going under "Tools" (on the blue bar) and then "Advanced Search". You can search by user name (typing a couple letters brings up relevant name matches). You can also enter some text/words that could be found in those threads to narrow down searches better, and even choose what thread categories, search by posted dates, etc. Quicker way to find what you are looking for I believe.

The "regular" search box with the Google symbol is not at all to my liking. Makes things a lot more complicated and harder to find (lot of the results are posts from a decade ago so the info has good chances of being outdated thinking/belief or old technology).

But yes, Plantbrain (Tom Barr) is extremely knowledgeable, so most posts of his should be a great source of information.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For searching around on this forum I've been going under "Tools" (on the blue bar) and then "Advanced Search". You can search by user name (typing a couple letters brings up relevant name matches). You can also enter some text/words that could be found in those threads to narrow down searches better, and even choose what thread categories, search by posted dates, etc. Quicker way to find what you are looking for I believe.

The "regular" search box with the Google symbol is not at all to my liking. Makes things a lot more complicated and harder to find (lot of the results are posts from a decade ago so the info has good chances of being outdated thinking/belief or old technology).

But yes, Plantbrain (Tom Barr) is extremely knowledgeable, so most posts of his should be a great source of information.
When I try using the search function on any of the forums or all of the forums together I get a thread, which contains everyone's comments, making it hard to find one from a specific member.

There are others here who have posted on specific subjects numerous times, and have provided very good information. One that comes to mind is Diana.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Thanks @Hoppy for posting.
Another way to get to that area is to click on the username ( above the avatar on the left) -> Statistics -> Find all post by X / Find all threads started by X. If you click on the find all threads you can perhaps see the journal or problems the user experienced in the past. Here is the page for Hoppy The Planted Tank Forum - Search Results

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
The Advanced Search Function is pretty thorough.... as long as you know how to use it. I just click on "Advanced Search" above Premium Vendor Showcase/Recent Discussions. (top right side of the screen for me!)

Took a screenshot of the Advanced Search Option and highlighted a couple of key parts.... i.e. Find Posts by User or Find Threads by User and Show Result as Threads or Posts.

Also, when you begin to type in the User Name, as long as you remember at least the first three letters of the username, if you wait a few seconds the forum will give you a "drop down" option of various names that start with those letters.

Blue Product Green Electronic device Yellow

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.