The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. please hear me out and maybe you can help me as well. :)

I've found a 4ft LED lighting (Weipro LED-C (I cannot post the link because of my post count)). There are about 360 LEDs in all (so about 90 LEDs/foot). The website does not say how many whites LEDs are used but I assume the fitting is probably mostly white.

The LEDs used are not the CREE types. These are regular-shaped LEDs that seemed to be 5mm in size.

I'm wondering if such a lighting is suitable for a deep tank (48in(l) x 18in(w) x 28in(h)). I an hoping to grow glossostigma or other foreground plants the requires strong light. The substrate would be 1.5in at the front and 4in at the back.

thank you very much for the help :)

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
http://www.fish-street.com/weipro_led_lighting_led-c
That is a hard light to evaluate from the description given. It appears that if you used two of the 120 cm units on that tank it might be adequate, but it also might only give low intensity light. With such a deep tank I suspect it would give too little light for a high light tank. The price is so good that it would be worth trying, assuming they actually sell them for that price in Australia.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a hard light to evaluate from the description given. It appears that if you used two of the 120 cm units on that tank it might be adequate, but it also might only give low intensity light. With such a deep tank I suspect it would give too little light for a high light tank. The price is so good that it would be worth trying, assuming they actually sell them for that price in Australia.

thanks Hoppy for the reply. I am doubtful as well if it can be useful in a deep tank.

-----------------

Do you think Cree can be used in a deep tank? how many LED is needed per foot?

I've looked at your other thread and my previous electronic experience (making audio amps and electronic university degree) makes building my own easy. plus I have a bunch of laptop supplies which would be useful.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I can only add that us reefers here in MI have not jumped on the LED bandwagon yet but they are getting close at least for shorter tanks like 18 inches tall.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.