The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to create a "poor man's" version of this:

only more appropriate for a freshwater tank...

Start with this 16" diameter light:

Add (1) of this:

(5500k)

Using:

And hang over this:

The question is:
Will it be brighter than the (2) 15w 18in tubes currently on my tank?
Not concerned about lighting for plants (gasp, argh!) as this tank has none, and the lighting is purley aesthetic. (sp?)

I will also be loosing the glass cover...

Thoughts?

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Not enough light for plants because of the bulb or the tank size?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I think it will work, especially for low light plants, if you don't try to hang it too high over the tank. Perhaps around 6" might let it work well. The only problem I see is that the tank you have is relatively high, making it harder to get good light at the substrate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input, but what I am really trying to determine is if the spiral cf bulb will be visually brighter than the two 15w strip lights currently in use? :confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I was thinking, and I was considering about 4-6" above the tank rim. Thanks.

(Wasn't sure if a 27w spiral cf would be brighter than two 15w T-8's)

Cheap enough project to attempt, since lighting options for this tank are so limited.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The fixture is nice but probably won't put out enough light with a bulb mounted conventionally so change that.

Get a two, three, or four socket assembly from a ceiling fixture and mount it inside the canopy. That plus two, three, or four daylight spiral CFLs should be enough light. Check your local thrift shop for a ceiling light with the proper socket assembly. Usually they run about $1.00 there.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The fixture is nice but probably won't put out enough light with a bulb mounted conventionally so change that.

Get a two, three, or four socket assembly from a ceiling fixture and mount it inside the canopy. That plus two, three, or four daylight spiral CFLs should be enough light. Check your local thrift shop for a ceiling light with the proper socket assembly. Usually they run about $1.00 there.
Read the sticky about these bulbs. Mounting one of them like this is the best way to use them. They give substantially more light this way than when mounted horizontally.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
vette, consider GEs new Reveal brand of cc that is new on the market. They tend to be a nicer, more natural light than other cc bulbs. There is a 100w bulb.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Read the sticky about these bulbs. Mounting one of them like this is the best way to use them. They give substantially more light this way than when mounted horizontally.
Base up or base down gives off more light due to the gas(es) being warmed by the rising heat. Warmer gas ionizes better. Sideways traps less heat so less ionization.
But... Three or four of them base sideways will yield more light than one mounted base up.

Maybe the light fixture has depth to mount three CFLs base up? That would be far better. I was going to suggest a mogul socket and one of those 300 watt equivalent CFLs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts