The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked-up a nasty virus late last week and haven’t been feeling particularly inspired (or healthy) ever since. But this morning—once I stopped trying to cough-up a lung—I decided to grab my camera and take a few photosof one of my Israeli pillar tail scorpions (Orthochirus scrobiculosus negebensis for my blog.

These are such great (I dare say cute) little scorpions. But they are a pain to photograph because they live in a dusty environment—and it is really difficult to get a nice, clear, sharp photo of a very small, dusty animal. It’s tempting to wash one of these little beasts off in some warm water. But I’m afraid that immersion in water, even for a short time, would stress the animal badly or even worse, cause it harm.

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com
orthochirus 1 copyright Ernie Cooper 2012_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Nice! I collect local Scorpions often here in Utah. Got some black light LED flashlights I made for the job. Up north we catch Vejovis boreus and Vaejovis confusus. I think we may have some Smeringurus mesaensis around as well. Down south the scope widens and starts including Hadrurus spadix and Hadrurus arizonensis!

Top Left Corner:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice! I collect local Scorpions often here in Utah. Got some black light LED flashlights I made for the job. Up north we catch Vejovis boreus and Vaejovis confusus. I think we may have some Smeringurus mesaensis around as well. Down south the scope widens and starts including Hadrurus spadix and Hadrurus arizonensis!

Top Left Corner:

I'm really envious! I would love to go out hunting scorpions! I had some Vejovis years ago from Arizona, I don't remember which species. Great critters with a lot of attitude! There must be lots of interesting arthropods in Utah...

EC

·
Registered
999 Posts

Top Left Corner:

How big are these? Like how big is that spider? You should add a ruler to the image. :)

·
Registered
238 Posts

Top Left Corner:
Wicked collection you've got! also, they seem HUGE!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.