The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that heavy root feeding plants benefit from root tabs. Makes sense. But how do i decide if my plants are root feeder or water feeders ? I assumed that plants with tons of small leaves were water feeders and the ones with just a few big leaves were root feeders but in another post i read a guy saying that his combomba did great once he added root tabs at their base. That kind of throws my many leaves = water feeder idea out the window haha.

So how do i know which of my plants are mainly root feeders and which arent ?

James

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
IMO all plants that grow roots will benefit from root tabs. Some more than others but it wouldn't hurt to root feed any plant that has roots.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I tend to look for plants that have extensive root systems in order to determine if they would benefit from root tabs or not. Swords, Crypts, and other heavily-rooted plants all seem to appreciate a root tab now and then.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Just from personal observation : Nymphaea, Echinodorus, Crypts on general improves greatly with root tabs addition. Some even stimulated to flower or throw bigger leaves once extra nutrition is added to nearby the roots. Stem plants does improve as well, the only thing is that they are frequently uprooted, and the rest is topping up (a time with no root).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts