The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a picture of my 10 gallon planted tank. What could I do to make it look better with what I have in the tank? Also, what could I add? I also need to let the plants grow more, then it will look better. Any ideas on how to make a sand cave? And I got that clump of phoenix moss floating there. Any ideas of what I could do with it? I'm also trying to think of a way to hide the filter. Thanks for your help.​

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
And I got that clump of phoenix moss floating there. Any ideas of what I could do with it? I'm also trying to think of a way to hide the filter.
You could use the moss to hide the filter. You may need to use a razor or something to make some grooves for the moss to grab on to. Then just tie the moss around the filter and give it time. You certainly will need to trim it regularly to avoid it blocking the intake. I used Süßwassertang on my filter pipe to hide a spot where the paint came off.

Any ideas on how to make a sand cave?
Find a rock that will fit your needs and apply clear silicone where it is visible in the tank. Then while it's still wet, apply dry sand all over it to give the appearance of a sand cave.

Also, what could I add?
This is a lot easier to do if we know your tank params, lighting, CO2, ferts, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
find a nice twisty peice of driftwood with lots of 'fingers' and put that into the tank about a third of the way over. then put the taller varieties of plants behind it, the medium ones coming through it and the shorter ones in front or beside it. if you cut a coconut in half and make a hole in the front for fish to go in and out you can cover this using the silicon method and make a nice hill-looking cave. your tank basically has no hardscape so you need to add one. if you don't like the driftwood idea you can use rocks. get several rocks the same colour and add them around the tank. you can experiment with placement before putting them in to get an idea of what you like. just make sure the rocks are different sizes and shapes so it doesn't look too fake. add more plant varieties.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
i'd give back that tiger barb... They should be in a bigger tank in a pack of 6+.. They're social animals and should be with other tigers. If not, they go crazy and destroy animals and plants.

throw in some rocks or driftwood and it'll look better.. The eye needs a counter balance, some visual difference, to your plants which generally look the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts