The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 29 gallon bowfront that is an overflow/holding tank for fish and plants that are culled out of my main tank. The old Coralife fluorescent that I dragged out of retirement has seen better days and I suspect the bulb is so old it isn't giving the plants what they need for spectrum- it's 96w and runs hot, the bulb is very hard to find mucho $$. So I am looking at the lower end LEDs for a 24in application and 18in deep. Anything over $120 I'll go to my main tank manufacturer in AU- MakeMyLed which is around $220 shipped, I'm in Canada. My main tank LED is fully programable via laptop- for this application I'm not looking for any bells and whistles to break- just LED performance on a budget run by a timer- looking for that hidden gem of a deal. If they are cheap enough perhaps two may work out best.

This Finnex looks interesting tho but too close to my known good quality light.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Bentley Pascow gave the aquasky a lukewarm revue. I didn't see colors pop. It does cost less than Fluval 3.0
My opinion is the best LED is bright and lets you change settings- with plenty of purple. I could not stand to have my aquarium with some drab color even if it does grow plants. Pectec has nice looking lush plant tanks on Kessel..and the color is like my LED flashlight. Yellow

·
Registered
13,080 Posts
Bentley Pascow gave the aquasky a lukewarm revue. I didn't see colors pop. It does cost less than Fluval 3.0
My opinion is the best LED is bright and lets you change settings- with plenty of purple. I could not stand to have my aquarium with some drab color even if it does grow plants. Pectec has nice looking lush plant tanks on Kessel..and the color is like my LED flashlight. Yellow
I was under the impression it's more of a power output difference between the 2.
Too lazy to look atm..;)

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
614 Posts
I don't understand the market for aquasky vs planted- does the aquasky just have more flashy functions?
so....

go of the 2.0 and 3.0.

Aquasky 2.0 I believe is older, I know it has less RGB adjustments and it doesn't not have a button to manually turn it on/off or whatever. You must have the phone app to use it. It also has less Wattage than the 3.0. This doesn't necessarily mean it's weaker, but with about 3/4 of the wattage from the 3.0 than I think it's safe to say the 3.0 is a little stronger.
Colors: RGB (Red, Green, Blue) and white

The Fluval 3.0 Planted or Fresh is has more options, and has a higher wattage. I believe it's their newest light version as well. It has 5 instead of 4 colors you can adjust. can manually be changed from 100% lit, off, and a night (blue) setting, and of course the Bluetooth setting which is controlled from the Fluval app on your phone.
Colors: Red, Blue, Soft blue, warm white, and white.

·
Registered
13,080 Posts
so....

go of the 2.0 and 3.0.

Aquasky 2.0 I believe is older, I know it has less RGB adjustments and it doesn't not have a button to manually turn it on/off or whatever. You must have the phone app to use it. It also has less Wattage than the 3.0. This doesn't necessarily mean it's weaker, but with about 3/4 of the wattage from the 3.0 than I think it's safe to say the 3.0 is a little stronger.
Colors: RGB (Red, Green, Blue) and white

The Fluval 3.0 Planted or Fresh is has more options, and has a higher wattage. I believe it's their newest light version as well. It has 5 instead of 4 colors you can adjust. can manually be changed from 100% lit, off, and a night (blue) setting, and of course the Bluetooth setting which is controlled from the Fluval app on your phone.
Colors: Red, Blue, Soft blue, warm white, and white.
There is the Aquasky (27w @ 48 inches)
Fluval Aquasky 2.0 (assume about 27 @ 48)
Fresh and Plant 2.0 and (assume about the same as 3.0 , maybe slightly more wattage).
Fresh and Plant 3.0 (46W @ 48") Now plant "spectrum" 3.0?

2.0 and 3.0 are about the same if not the same output.
2.0 requires a seperate "module" to do any ramping ect. Obsolete
3.0 is probably their new err "cadillac" model w/ controller built in.

Wattage isn't equal to photon output across the models (diode efficiency probably slightly changes)

AFAICT..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.