The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after much research I finally got some GBR, I initially wanted just a pair but got a good deal on 6 young unsexed online so I figured let me get them and let them pair up by themselves. I was sent 7 in case any were DO A, but thankfully all were alive and healthy. I gave them a 3 hour acclimation then added them to the tank. After all the reading I did I expected shy lethargic fish, but my babies seem fine. My question is how long until they pair off? Days? Weeks? Months? Another question is when do they get aggressive? These seven seem to be schooling tighter than my neon tetras. I've not read anything about them doing this.

Another note, the breeder said they were raised on live brine shrimp, but they have been eating flakes that I feed everyone else, that's a good sign right?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
Once they paired up, they'll show aggression toward any other fish, but one. That's I picked out my pair of Rams from a tank with 10+ GBRs

As for the food goes, some are picky eater and yes it's a good sign that they are eating

Best of luck on them :)

How much did you pay for the 6 of them?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ended up paying 35 for the seven that included shipping from Florida to NJ. Once pairs form I'll sell off 3 for now and keep 2 pairs, I'm planning on upgrading my 20 long to a 55

·
Registered
173 Posts
Most GBRs that are traded tend to be males so don't be too surprised if you only got 1 or 2 females.

Once they are sexually mature they should pair off in a matter of days and most of the time will aggressively guard a corner of the tank. I never had any real issues with my GBRs actually killing fish, they mostly just chased them away.

I feed mine NLS finicky fish 1mm pellets and have never had an issue with them eating. I have noticed they don't care to chase the pellets around while they are still in the water column. They like to let them all sink to the bottom and pick them off the substrate. So if your's don't chase down the food right away don't be afraid they are going on a hunger strike or something.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5 seem to have pinkish bellys so I think I have 5 females and 2 males. I also got the thera a pellets with garlic, but if mine wait till they sink they may not get any, the tetras are greedy little nuggets, so is the 2 guppies I have. And whatever does land on the floor is quickly snatched up by the rcs or amanos.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Once they pair off you will definitely notice it. The pair will do almost everything together including defending their territory. It's cool when you have two pairs in the same tank and they have their disputes. The females go at it right next to the males. Also, I was always told they will choose one mate for good which is not true. I've got two males right now who will alternate between two or three females each. For the most part they pair off with just one but some will stray. When they do pair off and choose a "territory" they will aggresively defend their space but aside from that they are fairly peaceful fish. These are some of the coolest most entertaining fish.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
.....I've got two males right now who will alternate between two or three females each. For the most part they pair off with just one but some will stray. When they do pair off and choose a "territory" they will aggresively defend their space but aside from that they are fairly peaceful fish. These are some of the coolest most entertaining fish.
How big is your tank and who else is in the tank with the four GBRs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I'll hopefully sell three by next week, I checked on them this morning, they were all alive and healthy. Still schooling, but not bullying anyone nor getting bullied :). They were picking at the substrate not sure if they were hungry...could have been looking for baby rcs. I'll get some live brine worms tonight.

Tanks ammonia levels were still 0 so no spike with the new additions

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.