The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello.

We all want to keep different kinds of shrimp but most of us are limited with space....I really cannot have 10 different tanks set up all over my apartment. With that said, I am taking an opposite approach and mixing everything in one tank to see what comes out eventually. Just yesterday I received Tiger shrimp from GordonRichards which had been kept in 6.5 PH. As per my request, he sent me the smallest shrimp he could find since they would be getting dropped into a tank which houses random bees at 5.3-5.5 PH. I am expecting many of them to die but if only a few survive it will be a success, especially since they'll start breeding with all my other shrimp.

My mix tank currently consists of the following:
1. CRS
2. CBS
3. Goldens
4. Taiwan Bees (Red Ruby)
5. Tigers
6. Crystal White Bee (will be receiving next week).
7. More Taiwan Bees (will get next month)

To some this might look crazy but the hobby has become a bit stagnant for my taste. All my CRS/CBS are breeding out of control so the challenge is no longer there. I cannot even remember the last time I had a shrimp die so the water parameters must be good as well.

Here are some pics of the baby tigers I received yesterday. That's a good ol Solo cup for size comparison. I ordered 10 but Gordon sent extras. :proud:

Anybody else mix shrimp?

Shrimp playground:

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
This is exactly what I've started doing too Hedge! I actually find it WAY more exciting to toss a ton of variety in the tank and when they berry it's like Christmas cause sometimes you never know what's going to pop out baby wise.

I've got one tank with CRS, CBS, Goldens, and those weird pink shrimp that we are unsure of. The other tank right now has OEBTs and CRS but I will be getting tibees and CBS this week as well as tossing a couple of goldens in that tank. If everyone settles in I may add even more coolness to the mix in a few months in the way of BTOE and others. Very excited about it though!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I mix CRS and OEBTs. It makes it much easier to take care of the two. Several months ago my OEBTs were in a separate tank and were dying, so I moved them to my CRS tank and poof! They stopped dying. I say go for it :)

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice. Glad there are others working on mixing things up.

It's actually way more fun than just trying to breed one specific type. I also plan on buying a chiller to get ready for summer and I will only need one instead of multiples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Need some BB in there for the mix.

My mixed tank at the moment is only crystals but it's everything from C grade to SSS, golden, snow, CRS, CBS. I do have one lonely tiger male in another tank from my Tiger die off I was thinking of sticking in there with them. lol.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Nice. Glad there are others working on mixing things up.

It's actually way more fun than just trying to breed one specific type. I also plan on buying a chiller to get ready for summer and I will only need one instead of multiples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
most chillers, even the cheap(er) ones are rated for 60-90 gallons so you have plenty of extra cooling capacity for more tanks lol :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
most chillers, even the cheap(er) ones are rated for 60-90 gallons so you have plenty of extra cooling capacity for more tanks lol :biggrin:
This is true, but, I don't want to explain to every single girl that I bring home about why I have 20 tanks with pipes/connections running all over the place. I am down to 3 tanks and will be down to 2 in the next month or so. I feel that this is an ideal number for an apartment before people start thinking you are a strange person. haha. I'm big into having a nice clean and modern apartment. Once I purchase a house in the next 2 years I'll probably turn the entire basement or garage into a giant shrimp rack. :thumbsup:

I will probably be setting up a giant ada discus tank too so I'll need room by getting rid of some of the smaller tanks.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
This is true, but, I don't want to explain to every single girl that I bring home about why I have 20 tanks with pipes/connections running all over the place. I am down to 3 tanks and will be down to 2 in the next month or so. I feel that this is an ideal number for an apartment before people start thinking you are a strange person. haha. I'm big into having a nice clean and modern apartment. Once I purchase a house in the next 2 years I'll probably turn the entire basement or garage into a giant shrimp rack. :thumbsup:

I will probably be setting up a giant ada discus tank too so I'll need room by getting rid of some of the smaller tanks.
Me too, I downsized after having too many tanks in my room that I didn't like the look of all over the place, but I should hopefully be in a position in the next year to buy a new house that I'll be specifically looking for something with a basement or garage or some room to use as a tank room.

·
Registered
486 Posts
You can get a lot of diversity out of those Taiwan bees. I started with only black king Kong and panda. Now I have the following variety of TBs:

Bkk (and extreme variant)
Panda
Shadow panda
Shadow bkk
Ruby red (and extreme variant)
Wine red
Shadow panda hino
Red wine hino
Blue bolt

There is so much variety in the way TBs look. They are wonderful for providing a lot of different looking shrimp in a single tank. Even the ruby reds have quite a bit of variation in the shade of red.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I'm curious to see what you end up with. Just mixing various grades of CBS in my main tank and not culling has resulted in a mass shift toward almost a wild type bee.
I think it's going to take a very long time...probably at least 6 months before I see anything. Many of the new shrimp that I just purchased for this mix tank are still juveniles.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Been mixing all sorts of shrimp in my Fluval Ebi since I first set it up in July.

Have tigers, crystals, chocolates, blueberries, Blue Bees, blue pearls and Malawis in it. Could be more... Lol

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
dk has a pic where she mixed i think a few tiger and crs and they tended to stay away from each other they segregated them selves lol. not sure if they ever crossed but was a funny pic. its prob some where in her mad doings post

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.