The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been 13 days and all seems well.The red checkerboard that I was worried about because he was not eating and being harassed by the turquoise has come around and is pigging out.He still backs off the big guy but doesn't run and hide.One of them has a habit of turning on his side when cleaning or water changes and it is a little scary but he always comes back after things have quieted down any body seen this type of behavior?Been getting them to take flake food soaked in garlic and have success with 4 but two are being stubborn.Patience.They do love their black worms and I can't get my hand out fast enough,also frozen beef heart which I remove after ten minutes but usually there is nothing left.Doing water changes every three days and that seems to be working.One pf those funny stories that you have to see to appreciate is the occasional flick of there tails when they are near the top which scares the heck out of my little dog a 110 lb. black lab that has left the room more than once and acts scared to return.Hysterical Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just wait until they get so comfortable when you're doing a water change, that you discover at least 1 that likes to be petted by stroking its dorsal fin across your hand while you're working in the tank. We had 3 that seemed to enjoy it so much that they would break the top surface of the water with their dorsal fin, just because you walked up to the tank.

You can google petting discus to see videos of others doing it.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Just wait until they get so comfortable when you're doing a water change, that you discover at least 1 that likes to be petted by stroking its dorsal fin across your hand while you're working in the tank. We had 3 that seemed to enjoy it so much that they would break the top surface of the water with their dorsal fin, just because you walked up to the tank.

You can google petting discus to see videos of others doing it.

Yeah, I've seen it myself first hand - it's really quite amazing & truly awesome !

·
Registered
120 Posts
I spend a few hours every Sunday cleaning the glass vacuuming and trimming plants and my discus want to come up to my hand want me to pet them, I always do so may be that's why they very seldom ever get spooked.I also spend a lot of time in front of my tanks watching them so they are very laid back and relaxed.Before they went in the planted tank I grew them out in a 75 gallon with at least one daily water change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.