The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone can be of help, I would greatly appreciate it. I am at my wits end :/

I have a 55 Gallon aquarium, moderately planted. I have been performing DIY co2 via citric acid/baking soda in plastic coke bottles. It has been working okay, but I find myself mixing a new batch every couple days. The bubble counter seems inconsistent day to day and I find myself having to add more and more bubbles to achieve the same ppm co2 results.

I have decided to go to a pressurized system. I was going to buy an "all in one" regulator, but got a great deal on some parts via ebay and decided to assemble a regulator myself. I am now thinking these great deals were in part because of how odd these damn pieces are :)

I came into a concoa dual stage regulator-8065587-01-XE, the typical solenoid, a Hoke 1345G1Y metering valve, and a mr aqua brass bubble counter.

I knew I would need adapters but I didn't know how hard they would be to find. I took my setup to the local home depot, lowe's and received these replies. "Why do you want to do this?" and "Man, I don't have anything that small, why are you doing this to yourself."

Growing frustrated, I went to amazon and ebay and still am not 100% sure what I need to get.

Here are the measurements of my pieces:

the concoa has a male connection of 3/8 compression. It also has this connection coming out of 7 o clock, angled down at a diagonal, which further complicates that I will need elbows or something to make sure the bubble counter orientates properly.

the solenoid has two female 1/8 NPT connections. On a side note, these connections are marked "A" and "B." DOES IT MATTER WHETHER "A" GOES TO THE REGULATOR OR THE METERING VALVE?

the metering valve has two 1/16 tube compression double ferrule fittings.

the bubble counter has a 1/8 NPT female connection.

I would think I would need a 3/8 compression female to 1/8 npt male-boom done. I can't find it. I'm starting to think it doesn't exist. (regulator to solenoid)

I would also think I would need a 1/8 NPT male to 1/16 compression female X2-boom I can't find it. (solenoid to metering valve and metering valve to bubble counter)

The elbows I have no idea what would make the angle of the bubble counter better.

A few more thoughts. I don't know what these tube fittings are. I have never heard/worked with them before. If I take the ferrules off and the strange adapter, I am just left with compression threads. Can't I just use those and forget these tube aspects?

I am sorry for rambling. I have scoured these and other forums/parts of the internet, but just can't find what I am looking for.

I would really appreciate help with this setup. I can't return much of it and would like to get it going if at all possible instead of having to buy new pieces.

thanks in advance and please don't assume I know anything. The more in lamens terms, the better.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
the concoa has a male connection of 3/8 compression. It also has this connection coming out of 7 o clock, angled down at a diagonal, which further complicates that I will need elbows or something to make sure the bubble counter orientates properly.
You can probably remove the compression fitting and it should leave you (most likely) with a 1/4" opening.

Using some combination of elbows (45, 70, 90 degrees, etc), you should be able to get the orientation for the bubble counter that you desire.

the solenoid has two female 1/8 NPT connections. On a side note, these connections are marked "A" and "B." DOES IT MATTER WHETHER "A" GOES TO THE REGULATOR OR THE METERING VALVE?
Consult the solenoid specification sheet. Most likely, gas must flow from A to B.

I would think I would need a 3/8 compression female to 1/8 npt male-boom done. I can't find it. I'm starting to think it doesn't exist. (regulator to solenoid)
This may be difficult to find; you can always use more than one piece. Alternatively, as mentioned, you could remove the compression fitting from the regulator and just use a standard reducer.

I would also think I would need a 1/8 NPT male to 1/16 compression female X2-boom I can't find it. (solenoid to metering valve and metering valve to bubble counter)
Swagelok carries SS-100-1-2, which appears to be what you need. They are supposedly compatible with Hoke products.

A few more thoughts. I don't know what these tube fittings are. I have never heard/worked with them before. If I take the ferrules off and the strange adapter, I am just left with compression threads. Can't I just use those and forget these tube aspects?
No; compression fittings are designed in such a way that you will need the adapters and the ferrules to ensure a leak free fit.

·
Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
No tank right now :( :( :(
3,344 Posts
Others have given you good advice. You're fine you just need some adapters to be able to put the pieces where you want. Elbow off the reg, remove the first compression fitting on the bubble counter, etc. Don't be afraid to use more than one adapter to get the job done. These fittings can get weird but most are standard.

Finding everything you need is the hard part. It's really easy to put together after that - a little teflon tape and/or pipe dope and go to town with some wrenches. I recommend you not get the 'ultra' pipe dope that makes it so you have no chance of removing the pieces if you go the pipe dope route.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi and thanks a lot for your replies.

Few follow up questions for you if you wouldn't mind:

Damn, I didn't realize I purchase a single stage regulator. I know that dual stage is preferred, but in your opinions, can I get by with this? I know that I have to watch for end of tank dump. Seems like some people don't report this happening at all. What would you recommend to safe guard against it, watch out for it? I don't plan on having a ph controller, but I check ph myself once or twice a day.

On those swagelok part numbers. I went to swagelok's website and registered and it seems like they want to sell to businesses only. I was able to register, but haven't purchase anything yet. Any problems shipping to residential? Do you buy somewhere else?

I'm a fireman and am reasonably handy, but I have never dealt with compression fittings. I just don't understand (maybe I need to see it) how those little holes in the fittings attached to the out threads will work. I am not sure whether I will have to cut tube etc. It just doesn't add up to me. I couldn't find anything that small at home depot/lowes.

I'm a newbie, so any information you have, I greatly appreciate.

thanks again

john

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll message him now. What dual stage would you recommend? I have looked for a bunch of the regulators referenced in other forums similar to this, but some are rather old and I can't find many of those products.

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
On those swagelok part numbers. I went to swagelok's website and registered and it seems like they want to sell to businesses only. I was able to register, but haven't purchase anything yet. Any problems shipping to residential? Do you buy somewhere else?

I'm a fireman and am reasonably handy, but I have never dealt with compression fittings. I just don't understand (maybe I need to see it) how those little holes in the fittings attached to the out threads will work. I am not sure whether I will have to cut tube etc. It just doesn't add up to me. I couldn't find anything that small at home depot/lowes.
You might be able to contact a distributor of Swagelok products (if you have one nearby), or if you're lucky, you might be able to just have them sell directly to you. At least, that's what I managed to do.

You should not need to cut any tubes; the fittings typically do fit onto pipes (that might be carry various gases), but in our case, we usually use an adapter (that has a small pipe on one end for the fitting to clamp onto, and an NPT fitting on the other).

There is also a helpful installation video that Swagelok produced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdthSQDH8qk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.