The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my GF is really wanting Angelfish but my problem is we are going to transplant what we have in our 10gallon to our new 36 gallon. Are Neons and other tetras are pretty big at least 1" long. If I buy juvenile angels would that be a problem or would the angels grow up with them as tankmates? Our African Featherfin does fine as they were introduced at the same time. This is the biggest tank we can have in our loft and I was thinking about 3 angels.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
So my GF is really wanting Angelfish but my problem is we are going to transplant what we have in our 10gallon to our new 36 gallon. Are Neons and other tetras are pretty big at least 1" long. If I buy juvenile angels would that be a problem or would the angels grow up with them as tankmates? Our African Featherfin does fine as they were introduced at the same time. This is the biggest tank we can have in our loft and I was thinking about 3 angels.
If your not going any bigger in tank size that tank is just too small for 3 Angels IMO. This is one full grown Angel in a 46g. Once you put plants, and hardscape in, it gets really tight.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Angels will usually eat neons like fishie-flavored Mike and Ike's. LOL

That being said, you *can* keep several juvenile angels in a 30 gallon for a while. It takes a decent amount of time for them to hit their full size (in other words, you get yourself a few quarter sized angels and they aren't going to outgrow a 30 in a couple of weeks or anything lol) ... you just have to realize that at some point they will outgrow a 30.

I often will start smaller fish in a tank that I know they will outgrow ... as it's not BAD for them to be in smaller tanks when they are smaller as long as you recognize it's not suitable for their entire lives.

It also depends on the plants - if you go with long (tall) vertical leafed plants like grasses or vals, they kind of have more room as they can go between the leaves as opposed to say like a ball of moss or anubias, etc - they can't swim through that so well. Same for the hardscape - if you don't take up a huge amount of space with rocks or wood ... more room for fishes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.