The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:

To my big surprise, I got a pair of Angels spawning. I´m surprised because this fish are only silver dollar size, I got them 4 months ago when they were less than quarter size and I wasn´t expecting them to mature sexually so soon. I thought it would take at least a year.

The female is small, less than silver dollar and the male a little over. The second even greater surprise is that these first timers laid a lot of eggs for the size of the female, and they are guarding and taking great care of them. All the angels I had spawned before in my life were lousy parents that ate their eggs or didn´t guard them at all. I guess the planted tank has made a difference. Of course they spawned in an amazon sword which makes it very natural :D

I don´t care about raising the fry, but these 2 look like they are going to do their best to raise them. They claimed 1/3 of my 100 gal tank already.

My only concern is: Do you think they female will continue growing after spawning? I read somewhere that cichlids stop growing once they beginning spawning. Hope not

·
Registered
567 Posts
Nice! Some of them do start small; I had a half-wild silver angel male that paired off when he was barely bigger than quarter size. His female was three times his size at least!

She may or may not stop growing; if she's laying eggs every two weeks then she'll be putting all her energy into that instead. I am fostering a female cat right now who is two years old and still the size of a 6 month old kitten because she's been having one litter of kittens after another since she became mature.

They can also be stunted in their growth if they were raised in poor conditions (bad water quality, low quality food, and overcrowding) when they were young or if they got sick. So the fish may be older than they seem and just small for their age because of those factors.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I´m thinking about separating the couple. The eggs actually hatched and the parents moved them to a different amazon leaf, but lost them overnight, which was good news for me because the pair was being very aggressive towards their neighbors (and I don´t have the time to raise the fry anyway)

I think the rest of my group (5 in total from that batch, where they are all larger than silver dollar except for the breeding female) are all males since they are developing the nuchal hump, so If I remove the female peace will return and she can live happily with my silver dollars in my 55 gal tank (and hopefully catch up with the growth)

My zebra danios have pretty much wasted themselves after spawning on a daily basis for a couple months. I knew they were already older when I got them, but now they have hunched backs and very flat bellies, and I´m positive there are no deseases, they even eat, so it´s just they spawned themselves til almost dying... I really don´t want the angels to go the same way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts