The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone!

I have a group of 15 Golden Pencil Fish that I have had for a few months now, and are doing great! They have been living in my QT, and I am thinking of adding them to my 55g with 5 SMALL Angels in it.

DO Yall think there will be a problem with the Angels picking at the Pencils? The 5 angels are still pretty small. They are some I got from DrBotts in the SnS 2 weeks ago. The 2 largest are quarter+ body size, 2 are nickel body, and 1 is Dime+.

The only other living things in the tank are 2 Amano Shrimp, and the Angels are leaving them alone!

Thanks for the Help!
Drew:proud:

·
Registered
143 Posts
With Angels, it really is hard to say. Their mouths get much bigger than they appear. :eek: I have found out the hard way.
How large are the pencil fish? I don't have any experience with pencil fish but I know some of the species are rather small...

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MOST of the Pencils are 1.5", but a few are smaller.

I KNOW the Angels are too small to eat them now,but I am worried about them nipping their fins. The Pencils are constantly playing and Chasing each other, but no damage is being done.

So I figured if I was going to add the Pencils now would be the time to do it since the Angels are small!

Any Help is Appreciated!
Drew

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Pencils are very fragile fish that like soft water, low light or floating plants, and peat or brown water, Angels are a little aggressive with a pecking order in most case I would say keep them seperate. I love the delicate nature of pencil fish, so just be ready to pull them out.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I think the problem wil be that Angelfish will not stay small, and could view the Pencilfish as snacks as they grow larger.
While pencilfish could easily dart away from Angelfish during daylight hours,,At night while they are resting near the surface, the Angelfish could easily slip up on em from below.
Have seen Angelfish do this with smaller fishes.
They are after all, cichlid's.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep they do like to sleep in the Fox Tail I have floating in their tank!

OH WELL!!! I guess I need to go buy another tank for the Pencils!!! ;)

Been thinking of a 29G Low Tech, so I bet they would like that!

Thanks for all the WISE HELP!!!
Drew

·
Registered
782 Posts
The Golden Pencilfish is not fragile at all compared to other pencilfish types. True that it is hard to tell with Angels once they get to adult size. But the Goldens are not small and are much faster swimmers then other pencils. I love how the males are very scrappy with each other and enjoy their sparring dance! I personally would not worry to much since Goldens reach around 2.5".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.