The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I inherited a couple of gold angels with my used aquarium. Daughter fell in love with them, so we'll be keeping rather than trading in.

Other daughter wants a Betta whci is fine with me, and we want to ad some Threadfin Ranibows.

Will the Angels harrass the "big-finned" fish. I seemto remember that Angels can benippers. So far, they pick at ach other a bit, but leave the other fish alone.

Thanks

·
Registered
544 Posts
Angels are typically not fin nippers but rather territorial fish that will attack others who come close. In my experience angels are mostly aggressive towards their own species and ignore pretty much other fish (except tiny little fish that may be considered food).

Bettas are hard to mix with other fish because some of them are aggressive with other fish and some are "dumb" and flow their long fins at other fish who of course nip them.

A female betta would probably be fine though

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't mix Threadfins with bettas or angels. Angels, being cichlids, are always hit-and-miss on how aggressive they may or may not be towards other fish, particularly very shy ones with very tempting fins... I suspect angels also would likely out-compete the rather shy rainbows at feeding time.

Bettas likewise are hit-and-miss, even females.

I've kept angels and bettas together with no issues, it's the threadfins I think are most likely to get the short end of the stick.

What about Furcata or, even better, Dwarf Neon rainbows instead?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't mix those fish myself. The Angels can get pretty agressive in my experience. I had two Angels and it was NOT good. The dominant one owned the tank and chase everything and also beat the other angel up quite a bit.
From my experience, I'd only keep Angels again in larger group like 5 or more in a nice tall aquarium. That way they can't single one out to pick on.
Betta's are also very hit and miss with agressiveness.

Overall sounds risky.

·
Registered
567 Posts
It's going to depend on your angels, but I have had all three of those together successfully. Very large angels may try to eat the threadfins, but those guys can swim fast enough to get away. I have found female bettas to be more aggressive than the males...at least the ones I have owned. Male bettas that I have kept in community tanks generally just keep to themselves or get picked on by faster moving fish, while the females would beat up anything colorful when they got into an egg-laying sort of mood.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Primary fish in my tanks are angels. In the mix paired betta's or a male and several females without inter species issues. Time to time sees a chase or bluff posturing but never any damage. Three of the tanks have betta's in them, the males are all different types.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts