The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm getting a 36 gallon bowfront for Christmas. I really like angelfish but know they can get pretty big. Can I have some in this tank?
If so how many? I would like some bottom feeders such and cory cats and shrimp, will they go after them? I heard that some tetra's will harass them, and they will eat some others. I want a small school of fish in the background, what kind of tetra's would work?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have two angels in my 36 gallon bowfront! They are pretty big in there but seem happy, I have 4 praecox rainbows and 3 kuhli loaches in there too. I had shrimp in there with no problems but I took them out in case. Cardinal tetras would work but keep in mind that angels need 20+ gallons of the tank. If you keep it planted and have some nice driftwood every body will be happy. I recommend getting the angels as babies, I feel that they are less aggressive that way but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have two angels in my 36 gallon bowfront! They are pretty big in there but seem happy, I have 4 praecox rainbows and 3 kuhli loaches in there too. I had shrimp in there with no problems but I took them out in case. Cardinal tetras would work but keep in mind that angels need 20+ gallons of the tank. If you keep it planted and have some nice driftwood every body will be happy. I recommend getting the angels as babies, I feel that they are less aggressive that way but that's just me.
I wanted two or 3 of them. A small school of bottom feeders. And a small school of fish just to add a little more movement and life. I was thinking glowlight or xray tetra's but dont know if that will work. From what I can find they will either eat the tetra's or the tetra's will harass the angelfish. I also heard trouble occurs when they pair up so. And maybe some shrimp of some sort. I also want to get them young.
Should I add the tetra's and other species first and then introduce some young angels? How many? Should I shoot for a certain sex? Like all male or all female? I'm not looking for babies.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Larger angels will make a meal out of any shrimp you put in there.
Sad, I like shrimp, I can do without them though.
I guess I should add that I cannot have even numbers of anything in my tanks.... ever. It drives me nuts.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Sad, I like shrimp, I can do without them though.
I guess I should add that I cannot have even numbers of anything in my tanks.... ever. It drives me nuts.
angels are the only fish I really tank for, but three is a 'man out' number
unless your REALLY lucky and all are males.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'd get two, I have pristella tetras with mine, but they arent the prettiest tetra, but they dont bother any of the other fish angels included.

I would get two angels, a large school of tetras and a large school of corys.
I think thats what I'm going with. How many in each school? I was thinking 9 tetra's and 7 cories.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I wanted two or 3 of them. A small school of bottom feeders. And a small school of fish just to add a little more movement and life. I was thinking glowlight or xray tetra's but dont know if that will work. From what I can find they will either eat the tetra's or the tetra's will harass the angelfish. I also heard trouble occurs when they pair up so. And maybe some shrimp of some sort. I also want to get them young.
Should I add the tetra's and other species first and then introduce some young angels? How many? Should I shoot for a certain sex? Like all male or all female? I'm not looking for babies.
Glowlight Tetras are a good choice to house with Angelfish. Get at least ten of them as they tend to do better in a small shoal. Angelfish can be aggressive so shrimps are probably out of the question unless you get larger filter-feeding shrimps such as Bamboo Shrimps. A small group of Corydoras Catfish would also be suitable for your tank; I like Panda Corys for this, and they are sociable with each other, which is neat to watch. I also agree with the post on this thread that recommends that you introduce them to your tank when they are smaller; if you cannot do this for some reason, add the tetras and corys first, and this will help you avoid potential aggression issues with the angelfish. (Angelfish are, after all, cichlids...)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sounds good to me

If you could make the tetra school a bit bigger that'd be even better.
I probably will.... I'm just afraid of reaching my biolimit lol. I'm always afraid of that. Stocking on aqadvisor doesnt help that fear.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glowlight Tetras are a good choice to house with Angelfish. Get at least ten of them as they tend to do better in a small shoal. Angelfish can be aggressive so shrimps are probably out of the question unless you get larger filter-feeding shrimps such as Bamboo Shrimps. A small group of Corydoras Catfish would also be suitable for your tank; I like Panda Corys for this, and they are sociable with each other, which is neat to watch. I also agree with the post on this thread that recommends that you introduce them to your tank when they are smaller; if you cannot do this for some reason, add the tetras and corys first, and this will help you avoid potential aggression issues with the angelfish. (Angelfish are, after all, cichlids...)
Glowlights are a good choice? Thats good.... Pictures don't really do them justice. I saw them at my LFS and they were beautiful. Ill shoot for 10 and see if I want to add more later. I might try some ghost shrimp and see if they can manage to survive in there. I've also never had the opportunity to have larger shrimp, that would be cool. I like panda cories, but schwartz cories really caught my eye..... I think I'm going with a school of them. I'm going to try and find the youngets angels possible, but I'm going to add the other inhabitants first anyways... Thank you for the info!! It was really helpful...

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Glowlights are a good choice? Thats good.... Pictures don't really do them justice. I saw them at my LFS and they were beautiful. Ill shoot for 10 and see if I want to add more later. I might try some ghost shrimp and see if they can manage to survive in there. I've also never had the opportunity to have larger shrimp, that would be cool. I like panda cories, but schwartz cories really caught my eye..... I think I'm going with a school of them. I'm going to try and find the youngets angels possible, but I'm going to add the other inhabitants first anyways... Thank you for the info!! It was really helpful...
I currently have Schwartz cories, Panda cories and Bronze cories in my community tank, 2 of each, and they all swim around in a little group together. They also occasionally pair off, not necessarily the same variety to a pair, and they have really cool social interactions, which I think are great to watch. Some people suggest that you get a larger group of the same type, but if you get them when they are about the same size you can mix and match at least these three types and have a bit of variety in your tank. The Glowlights are a nice change from the Neons and Cardinals that most people have, and I have found that they will shoal in smaller groups than other tetras of the same size. One other fish that I could recommend is the Yo-yo loach. These are very attractive fish that are social kept in a small group (for your tank, four would do), they are good tank mates for the fishes you already like, and they will not get too big for your tank unlike other loaches. Yo-yo loaches also do not root up plants like other loaches can have the tendency to do.

Side note: If you do add a bamboo shrimp or other filter feeding shrimp to your tank, you will need to either add it to an established tank or you will need to supplement their diet with powdered food of some sort. Your tank would be big enough to support two of these once it has been set up for a few months and there is enough biological detritus in suspension in the water column. You would have to provide them with a perch of some sort that would allow them to sit directly in the outflow of your filter. I have successfully kept Amano shrimps in a community tank before (with my German Blue Rams) and have not had problems with fish predation; however, I am not sure that this would be a good idea with Angelfish, but they can be kept with all of the species I have listed here safely, as well as some of the species that other users have mentioned on this thread. The ghost shrimps would probably end up as dinner for your angelfish.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I currently have Schwartz cories, Panda cories and Bronze cories in my community tank, 2 of each, and they all swim around in a little group together. They also occasionally pair off, not necessarily the same variety to a pair, and they have really cool social interactions, which I think are great to watch. Some people suggest that you get a larger group of the same type, but if you get them when they are about the same size you can mix and match at least these three types and have a bit of variety in your tank. The Glowlights are a nice change from the Neons and Cardinals that most people have, and I have found that they will shoal in smaller groups than other tetras of the same size. One other fish that I could recommend is the Yo-yo loach. These are very attractive fish that are social kept in a small group (for your tank, four would do), they are good tank mates for the fishes you already like, and they will not get too big for your tank unlike other loaches. Yo-yo loaches also do not root up plants like other loaches can have the tendency to do.

Side note: If you do add a bamboo shrimp or other filter feeding shrimp to your tank, you will need to either add it to an established tank or you will need to supplement their diet with powdered food of some sort. Your tank would be big enough to support two of these once it has been set up for a few months and there is enough biological detritus in suspension in the water column. You would have to provide them with a perch of some sort that would allow them to sit directly in the outflow of your filter. I have successfully kept Amano shrimps in a community tank before (with my German Blue Rams) and have not had problems with fish predation; however, I am not sure that this would be a good idea with Angelfish, but they can be kept with all of the species I have listed here safely, as well as some of the species that other users have mentioned on this thread. The ghost shrimps would probably end up as dinner for your angelfish.
My mom has a school of cories thats mixed. I personally like it when they all match, In case you couldnt tell by the odd number of fish I'm a little OCD....
My problem with glowlights is that I've heard they tend to stay near the bottom corners. I want a fish that will take advantage of the tank. My other choice's were the Ember Tetra, or X-ray Tetra's.
No loaches for me. I honestly don't like the way they look. I know alot of people love them. I don't mind them really. I just never had the urge to own one. The ghost shrimp might end up as dinner. But it's a cheap dinner so I think I'll try it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
When I was asking for stocking advice on my 40B a few weeks ago I was advised not to purchase angels due to the size they can ultimately achieve. Maybe due to the dimensions of your tank this one would be a better fit for them, but I feel Angels can get to be pretty big and it might help if you had a plan to get them a larger tank for when this happened. The tank might also appear cramped visually, at least that's my fear.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I personally wouldn't do more than one Angel in less than a 55 gallon and that would be a mated pair. I have one Angel, 5 Rosy Barbs, 1 albino BN pleco, 5 Oto's, 5 full grown Cory's (I've got about 30 fry in another tank and will be adding some) and nearly 100 red cherry shrimp in a 46 gallon.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.