The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of 6 Angels in my tank, 2 pairs have formed. One set with recent eggs (yesterday) and another pair that layed early last week and now they have gone from wigglers to free swimming:

I have never had it go this far in my life. This is really cool to observe. Quesiton I have is, how long will the parents protect them? When will the swim apart from each other?

I have high and low cover, but with my community, do they have a chance?

I have begun feeding First Bites and they are eating it. I am not going to get into all of the seperate tanks, etc for raising these fry. If they make it great, then I will keep a few and take to LFS, but do they have a chance?

The other breeding pair are on the far side of this 6' tank. They did nowhere as good in regards to qty of eggs or the fertilization as these two fine specimens did in the pictures. Not surprising as the others are sorta mutated (partial gil on one side and the other has no "dangly thingies"... ) :redface: Damn I hate to get technical....

Thanks,

Ted

·
Registered
228 Posts
Congrats on the fry. The parents won't let them go until they get bigger and there is little chance for them to survive in a community tank; the parents can't watch all of them. If you are not going to get another tank for them then I think you should get a divider. Also they can't survive just on First Bites. It is better to feed them live bbs. It will help them know how to hunt and gives them more protein.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You are fortunate. I raised Angels a number of years ago and never had a pair that didn't eat the eggs or the fry. Had to separate them and they do need live brine shrimp which is another job in and of itself.
Gene

1 - 3 of 3 Posts