The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for angelfish fry to be displaying black coloration on their heads at 9 days old?

Out of this spawn I have about 10 out of 100-150 that made it to free swimming stage with this trait displaying. Haven't seen it before or just haven't noticed (I'm watching very closely this time and raising them artificially in a breeder tank for a genetic experiment for my Upper Level Genetics course at my college, I am trying to find out the genotype of the Female since from my research the male is recessive g/g genotype, so now I can determine the female's by seeing the coloration of the offspring)

The pair is a Gold (male) with Marble (female). I haven't seen the fry from this pair reach adult hood yet because I was trying to get a pair that would raise their fry, and they haven't quite got that down yet. So to ensure survival for my experiment I'm raising them myself.

So basically the question is, do they normally display color this early or do I have some sort of mutation going on?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
fry development

at 9 days from the spawn black would be eyes, bone and gut only
scale formation and pigment development really starts around 2 weeks.
standards and golds looked the same through day 12 and 18 only slightly lighter or more clear bodied in appearance.
Pics are in my journal but the camera wasn't as good as the one I have now.
Fry development.

day 9 on ddv fry

day 13

day 19

day 27

No matter how much light I pump into the tank the fish are black, all black and when the camera actually does focus they appear flat black.
Parents with the best clarity I can get.

Looking back the timeline for development has been very close to the same on all the spawns.
These DDV though are different because I now know they are a true DD pairing. I have no variation in the spawn at all.
This is the first spawn I've ever had without any variation in the fry.
Body size is now 3/8"ish.
They all look very much the same, a few with longer fins but coloration and pattern without change.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
at 9 days from the spawn black would be eyes, bone and gut only
scale formation and pigment development really starts around 2 weeks.
standards and golds looked the same through day 12 and 18 only slightly lighter or more clear bodied in appearance.
Pics are in my journal but the camera wasn't as good as the one I have now.
Fry development.

day 9 on ddv fry

day 13

day 19

day 27

No matter how much light I pump into the tank the fish are black, all black and when the camera actually does focus they appear flat black.
Parents with the best clarity I can get.

Looking back the timeline for development has been very close to the same on all the spawns.
These DDV though are different because I now know they are a true DD pairing. I have no variation in the spawn at all.
This is the first spawn I've ever had without any variation in the fry.
Body size is now 3/8"ish.
They all look very much the same, a few with longer fins but coloration and pattern without change.
Thanks for so much info!

I have about 10 out of the whole batch that look just like your fry at 9 days old, all the others are colorless. Do you think this could be a color indicator of being all black? Or would it be too early to tell cause they could possible just be marble.

The parents are Marble and Gold.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.