The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This pair has spawned 4 times, this being the latest. They are in a 40 brdr with a pair of apistos. The pair move the wrigglers from driftwood to driftwood and once they are free-swimming, the parents eat the fry after about a week.

Should I siphon them out into a 2.5 or a 5.5 gal and raise them myself? Or hope they get it right eventually?

Thanks,
Francine

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Fry being eating is typical in SA/CA cichlids with young pairs. They eventually get it right. You could siphon them out and raise them separate if you wanted, but once the parents settle in and figure it out, they are great parents and survival rates are high.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Very nice pair BTW! I have some nice wild caught Brazilian angels, but would love to snag some dark pinoy angels in the future!

·
Registered
113 Posts
You could do both. Siphon out this batch and see what they do with the next batch. Once they start breeding it's hard to stop them.

Nice looking pair.

Do you have food ready for the babies?

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! They are the only angels I have breeding at the moment. I also have some red-shoulder from Guyana, some Tony Tans F1 altums and one altum left of the recent purchase of wilds from HAW.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
are you feeding BBS the day after free swimming starts?
if not them eating the parents slim coat gets irritating to the fish.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I use bbs and Golden Pearls. if they move the fry to the slate, I think I'll take them out and try to raise them.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I've let Angel pairs keep their spawn a few times.

- When you see the female start to look gravid with eggs, do a water change and relocate the other fish

- You should only be running a air pump driven sponge filter at this point.

- Black water tonic, or a single Lypton tea bag(very old school) & raising the water temp will push the spawning.

- cover the glass with brown paper from a grocery bag. You can cut a small peep hole.

- Lots of hidding places for the fry, Java moss, hornwart.

- keep the parents feed

- have brine shrimp eggs ready to hatch. I've also used infusoria http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Live Food, Infusoria.htmc I would feed that into the sponge filter and fry will feed off of it.

- Be careful not to photoshock the tank

Losses are going to be high vs.raising the fry in by themselves but, it is worth the effort.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts