The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Cichlids will be cichlids, angels are no different. Though lowering the temp may stop breeding aggression it's unlikely to stop all aggression. The key to keeping multiple larger SA/ CA cichlids is finding specific specimens that will get along with each other and keeping them outside of their breeding parameters but within their zone of comfort, providing lots of hiding spaces and potted plants that you can move as you see fit to block if lines of sight. Even this isn't enough 100% of the time. If this seems like too much there are larger bodied tetra (I love diamond tetra, personally) that have a similar shape and presence of angels in a smaller package with little to no aggression and are much more forgiving as far as parameters are concerned.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
If you keep a large enough group, in a very densely planted tank, when a pair breeds, the others will all go into hiding. If they do chase another fish, it won't be sustained, the aggression will be spread around. IOW having 7 is probably better than 3.

If you vac up the eggs, often things will go back to normal. What you don't want is for a pair to form and then NOT lay eggs because they can't find a space. That means they will harass other fish indefinitely. To induce breeding, its good to have flat surface in hidden area.

It might also be possible with cichlids, to have enough dithers, or a really large centerpiece so that they never feel totally secure breeding. That may stop them.

I think a group of seven angels in a 125g would work well. In my 75g, I bought 3 angels, and only 2 tolerate each other. I'm not sure if there is a magic number for a 75g. I'm guessing its too small to keep a group of 7 angels. And 4-5 would probably be subject to some being singled out with aggression.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.