• 3. Leave them in the community tank

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

It looks like my angels are starting to breed, or at least lay eggs. Right now they are in my 75g community tank. I am thinking of getting a 55g just for them. I'm thinking 55g as I can't fit a wider tank where I want to put it. Do my first questions are 1. is there any reason not to use a 55g, 2. Is it better to go bare tank or one with substrate? 3. Should I raise the fry with the parents or separately in a 20L that I have. 4. What should I use for filtration in the tank with the fry? It will probably be a couple of months before I can get the tank and set it up and cycle it, so I have time. My other choice is to not try to raise fry and let the parents stay in the 75g tank.
Any and all feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
1) To the best of my knowledge no, unless you plan on drilling the 55 (most are made with tempered glass and therefore can't be drilled).

2) Bare tank if your purposes are to breed the fish and only breed the fish. This makes it easier for you to hoover up leftover food/poop/etc.

3)You can do either. I'd keep an eye on the parents and wait to see if they're good parents or egg eaters (keeping in mind that the first few spawns will most likely get eaten if they're new parents).

4) Sponge filter.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) To the best of my knowledge no, unless you plan on drilling the 55 (most are made with tempered glass and therefore can't be drilled).

2) Bare tank if your purposes are to breed the fish and only breed the fish. This makes it easier for you to hoover up leftover food/poop/etc.

3)You can do either. I'd keep an eye on the parents and wait to see if they're good parents or egg eaters (keeping in mind that the first few spawns will most likely get eaten if they're new parents).

4) Sponge filter.
That was my initial thought. I do have a 20 long that I can raise fry in if necessary, or maybe get a 29 as both will fit under the 55.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just fwiw if your intent is to parent raise, you may want to consider a smaller tank. Reasoning here is you'll be feeding baby brine shrimp at least three times a day but preferably five. In a smaller tank the bbs are more concentrated and easier for the fry to get their fill. I've had good luck with twenty talls. A lot/most breeders just use a standard ten. And when you parent raise, there comes a point when the fry start to pick unmercifully at the parent's slime coat at which point someone has to go. I currently have about 150 juvies in a bare bottom fifty five with three 60 gallon sponge filters and do 65% water changes every other day. So absolutely would suggest bare bottom and sponge filters regardless for ease of manitenance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Forgetting the "bigger is always better" thing I think a 55 is a little large for a single pair. A 29 is almost Ideal. Bare bottom, sponge filter, spawning slate and a heater are all you need. Maybe a few potted thin leaved plants that they won't spawn on, like Valisneria. Pull the slate when they spawn and put it in a 2-1/2 gallon tank or a Gallon jar. After the fry get a little bigger, the 20 will work for a while. If you are going to raise any to adults the 55 will come in handy. If you only want to raise a few, the 20 will enough room until they get big enough to put into the community tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.