The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a group of 6 angelfish in my planted 120. Two of them began showing behavior consistent with pairing up so I moved them to a 40 gallon breeder to see what would happen. In less than a day a clutch of eggs were layed on the glass. They both protected the area fiercely. I tried to stay away best I could to keep them from freaking out. The next day, all the eggs were gone (im assuming they ate them). Later that evening I went to check on them and another clutch had been layed. This batch was eaten the next day as well.

My question.
Can angelfish lay multiple batches of eggs days apart? Or do you think this is a misidentified pair and the egg batches came one from each of them? They seemed to be noticeably in seperable for whT seemed like weeks. They even had their own section of the tank that they would defend from other fish.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
You might have been looking at the 'same' spawn of eggs but you interrupted it in the middle. The easiest way to determine is to just wait a few weeks and see how they do. You should also consider putting a piece of slate in there so they could put their eggs on that (assuming you have any interest in raising the fry).

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had angels spawn just a few days apart, less then a week for sure.
I had a had a few pairs years ago. IIRC I had first spawn eaten from a couple different pairs. One pair claimed more then half of 150 gallon tank(72x18x28) and defended it viciously. Mine used the glass even though there was driftwood and rocks on at least a few occasions.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Put a slate or breeding cone in there for them to spawn on. It is not unusual to have two females pair up and lay eggs. It is unusual for a pair to lay eggs less than 7 or 8 days apart. Keep an eye on them and see which lays eggs. Of the other one lays them next time you have two females and should separate them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you can catch them in the act, it will be clear if you have a M/F pair. You can also tell by looking closely around spawning time. The male is 'smaller'. I once saw a few eggs on a plant leaf, and they were gone within a few hours. I got excited and put a piece of slate against the glass for them to spawn on. They ignored it for a while, and laid on plant leaves, and once even on the wall of the tank. I was able to cut the leaf with the most eggs on it off and hung it in a big jar inside a small tank with a heater at about 76 degrees. I put in an airstone for circulation, and a little methelene blue to slow down fungus. That worked well. Once I had about a hundred fry growing out, the parents found the slate. That worked better than the leaf because it was easier to remove from the tank. Start some BBS when they get to be wrigglers so you have some food when they start swimming. With a little luck and persistence, you'll have juveniles to give to your local club!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts