The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me,or are some of these captive bred fish becoming more aggressive? I used to breed and raise angels about 15 years ago,and never had a problem except for spawning pairs.Other wise I used to keep them in groups no problem.

Last fall I got angelfish from petsmart,mostly to see how they'd do in my water,before I spent the bucks to get nice ones from a breeder.

the first 3 I got,2 thrived,one died.I bought 2 more,one thrived,the other died.a couple of months ago I had to remove one because he began bullying the other 2 so bad.then last week I removed another because he was beating up on his tankmate,and put him in with the one previously removed.while I was at work he beat him up so bad he died.I tried putting the first one back in,and just had to separate him again for the same thing.

Is it maybe just these fish? or are all of them that aggressive toward each other these days?

about ready to start calling these "south american fighting fish".

I do know that petsmart gets their fish from Segrest farms,who is a wholesaler,not a farm according to an article I read about them.they say they turnover their entire fish inventory every 3 to 7 days.
Perhaps these are just poorly bred fish from a factory farm somewhere?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
In a nutshell, they're cichlids. That should tell the whole story. Singular animals with personalities that can turn on a dime.

I've found that very well fed larger groups will fare better than a small number. But trust me, I've also had larger groups where one fish just decide to go commando on anything in sight. I bred them in the 80's and re-started about 5 years ago. Honestly, I don't see that this trait's changed from my experience.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have had angelfish before and again now. I have not seen any aggression at all from the 8 that I bought recently. 2 of them did die with one of the bodies missing. But the remaining 6 live in pretty peaceful harmony. I do have a 125 gallon tank though so if you have a smaller tank they may get territorial. I have seen some aggressiveness in angelfish in the past but it was more rare than common. But I don't know. I could just be lucky.

·
Registered
71 Posts
They're the same methinks unless there is a gene that triggers aggression, i doubt it though. Mine exhibit the typical pecking order, they sometimes even do the dreaded fin nipping. They do have a large tank, 70 US-G, and there are only four of them plus there are quite a number of hiding places for the lesser mortals so they're fine. But when pairing begins that will be another story.

·
Registered
71 Posts
^ Mine do that as well but when they realise there is no food then they start bickering again.

Do I see an Altum in your tank?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
^ Mine do that as well but when they realise there is no food then they start bickering again.

Do I see an Altum in your tank?
I don't think so. My original plan was to go an Altum tank until I saw the price.:surprise:
I just pick up the most Altum looking ones I can find at Petsmart and Petco or LFS.

The most expensive one in there was $7.99

·
Registered
618 Posts
i got three from my LFS who got it from a local breeder.. 6 bucks a pop each bought three..2 good one died..bought another one just because i felt like it..one of the new fish and one of the old fish really stick together and are growing nicely..the other old fish is a little smaller and seems to get nipped every now and again from the new one..all three are still to small to determine the sex..but they live with 2 GBR's, 1 Bolivian Ram, and one EB Acara...none seem to mess with one another..only the angels do any fuss but thats just rare..im not sure the type they are though if that would made any difference...heres all three..also this was taken a couple weeks back there a little bigger and some more color

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
I always thought Angels were aggressive one they have matured?

I had 3 a few years ago and 2 ended up bullying the other one and then started breeding. Once that happened, they ended up aggressive towards everyone and took over half the tank as their territory. I ended up selling the breeding pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I was reading a thread on another forum yesterday. A guy on there recorded the sounds angelfish makes. They have this loud clunk they make when they are aggressive.

My koi fry are now starting to look like angelfish, one has a black patch on his head that looks like headphones, a keeper for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In reality they need much bigger spaces than we usually provide them.

In nature they're spread out a bit more, can easily escape if the pressure's too much.

They pair off and need a whole tank to themselves. In nature they would hide away as a pair, away from the school.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
I don't think the fish have changed at all.
But then the original thought might be in play. If in doubt about how they will work out in your water and some die, is there reason to question how the fish act? Or is it time to look at the tank conditions they find?
Bad living conditions lead to bad actors in humans. Maybe a look at the water and try again if it is something you really want.
We often fault the big box stores but they also order fish from pretty much the same farms as most stores. There are local stores who do buy fish from local breeders but it is hard to fill the need from local guys tanks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
As Cichlids, angelfish tend to be aggressive, especially as they mature, and when in a breeding mood.

As a rule, you should NEVER have 3 angels in a tank...I have learned twice the hard way. Whether you've got males or females, 2 fish will generally pair up and bully the third. Twice I had to find a home for my third fish.

If you're keeping multiple fish, you'll want a group of at least 6 to spread out aggression. I've got 6 fish about old enough for their first spawn, just waiting for some to pair off and then we'll see whether I need to move the rest to other tanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
In the wild, Angelfish school or group together for safety but pairs will naturally isolate or separate themselves. Wild Angelfish have a seemingly endless open space - individual Angels need massive personal space like most Cichlids. My tank of 70 US-G is not enough IMO for my four Angels. I will have to eventually remove two if there will be a pair up or if things is get violent. ATM there is a power struggle with the four rascals - they're growing fast.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Like really fast, 4 of the small angelfish I got in November have paired off and spawned already.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well,it's not the water,I have the remaining 2 in separate tanks,so issue is fixed for now.I was just curious to see if perhaps the domesticated angels has perhaps become more aggressive over time as they've been heavily farmed.The ones I had before,were right about the time that mysterious "angelfish disease" was wiping out many of the farms.Never did hear what that turned out to be,or if anyone ever figured it out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts