The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a black angel with a white spot on his side. It is about 1/8" dia.
Some kind of growth, parasite, etc. He is eating and swimming fine.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
A white spot can be many things. Sometimes it can be as simple as a scale which is damaged. Can you give more info on the spot? Is it raised or flat, fuzzy and soft looking, slimy? How long has it been there? There are times when treatment needs to start ASAP but also times when watchful waiting is the best. Shotgun style treatments can really mess with the tank bacteria and create ammonia spikes which can lead down a slippery path if the treatment is not needed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is flat, almost a perfect circle. I was gone for 4 days and it showed up. I did remove a Blue Paradise before I left. You think it got my angel and the damage finally showed up?

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I'm slow to go for meds as they are so hard to get it right and can be such problems. For me, this is a time to wait and watch. If it gets bigger, then try to find a cure. Many times spots will just come and go. I have found they are often small bumps from running into something or from other fish. Almost all my fish are cichlids and they do sometimes just get rowdy. I've got one old boy who just can't avoid the center brace and he often has a peeled spot but it heals.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Poor picture but maybe it will help ID.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Sorry. The picture has to be really clear to get a feel for what it might be. Even then pictures are not as good as eyes on.
But then it has been several days and you may be able to tell us more that will help. Is the spot changing? Over several days, fungus might be expected to grow thicker and begin to show some depth or spread a bit wider. If it is a scrape, I would expect it be look somewhat different as fish often heal quickly.
Any changes to report?
In the meantime while debating, keep the water good and clean. Don't clean so well that you kill the bacteria, though. No tearing the tank down for a total clean so that the fish are stressed. For occasions when there is just "something", I like Pimafix and Melafix. They are both pretty easy and very safe to use even together. They will not kill bacteria or upset other things in the tank. They are also cheap enough that I don't mind using them when in doubt as to what I'm seeing. They may not be the final best answer but then I don't buy twenty dollars worth of meds to treat a five dollars fish who may die anyway. Good water is my first line med.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The spot has not increased in size. Still an aggressive eater which is normal for my two angels. I am due for a WC this weekend. I guess I will let it ride.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Sometimes fish get different coloring as they get older. If it doesn't change, get worse or get better, it may just be that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.