The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Just got an angel fish yesterday, the only one in a 20 gallon tank as a "centerpiece". She has 5 red eye tetra and 6 platys with her there. And that was it with some plants in there.

I acclimatized her well enough, but now dead.

Any thoughts? Was it wrong compatibility?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
There is nothing in terms of your fish that would cause compatibility issues:
1. Stress from other tank mates wont kill fish, especially angelfish in 24 hours, unless its a flat out attack!
2. Angelfish are often the trouble makers!
3. Angelfish are not that delicate of a fish.

What shape was the fish in and where did get it?
Is your tank established?
What size was the angelfish?
How did it act in the first few minutes?

To kill a fish in 24 hours without a compatibility issue you need to:
1. Look at your water
2. Look at the animal itself, was it stressed in transport, etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is nothing in terms of your fish that would cause compatibility issues:
1. Stress from other tank mates wont kill fish, especially angelfish in 24 hours, unless its a flat out attack!
2. Angelfish are often the trouble makers!
3. Angelfish are not that delicate of a fish.

What shape was the fish in and where did get it?
Is your tank established?
What size was the angelfish?
How did it act in the first few minutes?

To kill a fish in 24 hours without a compatibility issue you need to:
1. Look at your water
2. Look at the animal itself, was it stressed in transport, etc.
Yeah maybe I need to do a water test. My tank has been running a month now, and I only fish slowly that last 3 weeks and just keep on adding plants... this was supposed to be my last fish to add thinking everything has stabilized already.

I did see one platy trying to nip his fin, but that was it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah maybe I need to do a water test. My tank has been running a month now, and I only fish slowly that last 3 weeks and just keep on adding plants... this was supposed to be my last fish to add thinking everything has stabilized already.

I did see one platy trying to nip his fin, but that was it.

Oh, and the fish was about 3 inches, medium size petsmart standards. It was in a usual small aquariums we see at petsmart with 4 others, and all seem to be docile.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
uh oh, that is not the best way to acclimate fish. All that did was stabilize temperature.
I would still do a water test.
Should I have opened the bag and added water slowly in?

I didn't do that with others I have had before. I used to have cichlids, and this is my first angel fish. Maybe they needed that?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Get one of these.
I have one and it works wonderful.
Friend just borrowed it to get his Salt Water tank started.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
If the fish was from a local fish store, acclimating temperature by floating is good enough. They use the same tap water you do.
Small angles die for no reason sometime from what I can remember.

I usually ask when the fish arrived to the store. They die easily when they just arrived, stress and what not.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If the fish was from a local fish store, acclimating temperature by floating is good enough. They use the same tap water you do.
Small angles die for no reason sometime from what I can remember.

I usually ask when the fish arrived to the store. They die easily when they just arrived, stress and what not.
That was my thought too, but I guess this being my first angel fish, I'll take the precaution. Plus have my water tested. I really don't do that regularly, not even in my past cichlid aquariums. But maybe need to this time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Was able to bring it back to Petsmart. They took it back and gave me a refund. They also said I should not have been sold the Angelfish with what I already have in the tank already. They tested my water and all was good and only thing that stood out was PH closer to 7.4. I ended up skipping the idea of having an angel fish unless I reduce my current fish pop and move some to my plant grower aquarium. So we will see. Thanks for all the inputs! :)

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I suspect there is more to the problem than mentioned but we need more info. How was the fish acting when first let loose. Cichlids are tough and they have brains so they will likely be scared at first. So knowing how the fish acted first can help to know if it was near death already.
Then how did it act before dying. If you were watching, did it seem to have trouble breathing like hanging near the surface and/or panting?
circles and having trouble staying upright? Banging into things (flashing) might show a different problem.
a three inch angle that dies suddenly sounds like a real problem. Either near death or a near death environment. Fish can get used to gradually degrading water so it might not be killing the other fish yet but if it kills an angle that quickly, you are close to losing the tank.

Since there are so many things to avoid in pet shop water, it is never a good idea to dump that water into our tanks. I find it best to open the bag, dip some of my tank water in, maybe ten percent? Then over some time, add more water so that things change gradually for the fish. But then rather than dump all the bad potential, I wet a hand and scoop the fish out into the tank and ditch the bag water. You can avoid dumping a bunch of ich cysts into the tank!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have gotten fish from a big box store with conductivity of their water 3500 - 5000. It does a number on the osmoregulation of the fish to rapidly put it in a tank where the conductivity is <500-800, & can result in death. Remember osmotic pressure from HS biology where the molecules cross the membrane from a high concentration to a low concentration? This happens with fish; the fish being the membrane, if not acclimated with tank water slowly and this rapid shift can be deadly for the fish.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.