The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not going to lie. I typically buy my fish from petsmart or petco. I know I shouldn’t, but I have never had an issue. However, to round out a school of rummynose in my 15 gallon and a school of blue eyed fork tails in my 20L, I decided to be responsible and bought one of each from my LFS. Got ick in both of my tanks, one about a week after the other (was very pissed at my LFS).

I spotted ick in my 15 first. With my 15, I decided to go the heat raising route. Both of my tanks are set to 73f. I slowly raised the temp to about 84 over the course of 24 hours, no problem. Then, when I went up to about 86-87, havoc. I lost 2 rummys within 2 hours and 2 more over night. All of my crypts started to melt. I then put the remaining 4 in a quarantine tank. Now they are better and back in the 15, no additional losses. I will never do heat treatment again.

For the 20, I was very worried about the plants. This tank is medium tech and I finally got the tank to where I wanted. There was no way I was doing the heat treatment and losing plants. I have a lot of small fish and catching them would have required me to rip the tank apart. So, against my better judgment and my research about ick, I decided to do……wait for it……NOTHING. I do big water changes anyway and I was hoping that would be enough. About half of the fish were showing sign of the disease at one point. Now, after a few weeks, none of them do. Casualties 0.

I am not saying this is the way to go or the right thing to do. I know this is totally anecdotal. Maybe the rummys are just ultra sensitive. I may not even totally be in the clear, but I wanted to share my findings that keeping good water conditions in an infected tank seems to be a big factor in preventing AND curing disease. And in my case, it seemed to be enough to rid my tank of the disease.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Oldest Ich remedy I have heard of:
Put the fish in a new bucket every day with all new water.

Maybe you did something like that when you did daily large water changes: You removed enough of the Ich babies that the fish could fight off the remaining ones.

Another thing to try in such a case is to add a UV sterilizer- Is there one on that tank?

Next time be even more responsible and put new fish in a quarantine tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.