The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've set up my very nice 75 gallon aquarium (not fish tank anymore people). I have gotten my plants to bloom and establish a balanced tank. Propagate and adding in new species has been a blast.

However one species in particular keeps disappearing.

About a year ago in June I purchased a Ghost knife fish. I became addicted to hand feeding her, researching how big of an established environment she would need and what to feed her. I recently have removed some fish that were destroying my beautiful plants and so I ended up buying 14 Rummy nose tetras.

Great Idea I though. Waited about a week in the QT tank and threw them in. I woke up the next morning to find that I had no more Rummy nose tetras ! I was deeply confused...

Where the F&^% did they go !! I couldn't believe even though the thought in the back of my mind said that B$#@! ate them >:)

So I waited about a month and bought 12 more. Let them grow out in the QT tank for about 4-6 weeks and sure enough they got bigger. Some bigger than my other rosbara tetras.

I'm sure you can all guess what came next. This morning I woke up to 8 rummy nose tetras instead of 12.

Now My BGK is about 7" inches long and I feed 7 cubes of combination brineshrimp and bloodworms daily. Including flake food and algae tablets once a day.

Is this seriously not enough food for her that she has to go out and hunt these little guys ??

Fish are nuts !!

·
Banned
476 Posts
Fish will 9 times out of 10 prefer live food over prepared. Some fish get a taste of live food and they'll refuse prepared food for a while.

I had something similar happen about 20 years ago. I had 2 medium sized Asian bumblebee catfish. I went to the pet shop and they had some young Tropheus Debosi priced wrong for $1 each. I didn't even know what a Tropheus was. Back then they sold for about $20. I bought six and the next day when the lights came on I had some very fat catfish.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Live food is right !! I realize and read that they do prefer smaller fish. I just didn't think that they were that small. After all the nose and tail of the rummy nose are probably more attractive than my Black neon tetras and rosbaras.

So I will stick with some ghost shrimp and see how it goes from there. Any other recommendations as far as live foods go ? I mean like literally live foods. Besides ghost shrimp and feeder fish. Maybe more on the healthier side ??

I can't believe my girl is upgrading to live food!
Can't wait to see what happens next. Maybe I'll just have a planted tank with a knifefish haha

Thanks for all the replies !

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Live food is right !! I realize and read that they do prefer smaller fish. I just didn't think that they were that small. After all the nose and tail of the rummy nose are probably more attractive than my Black neon tetras and rosbaras.

So I will stick with some ghost shrimp and see how it goes from there. Any other recommendations as far as live foods go ? I mean like literally live foods. Besides ghost shrimp and feeder fish. Maybe more on the healthier side ??

I can't believe my girl is upgrading to live food!
Can't wait to see what happens next. Maybe I'll just have a planted tank with a knifefish haha

Thanks for all the replies !
NO Feeder fish unless you are raising them.
Store bought feeder tank's are usually littered with dead or dying fishes, and often ripe with disease just from the sheer volume of fishes that pass through these deathtraps daily/weekly in cramped crowded conditions.
Only takes one sick store bought feeder fish to infect the whole tank of feeder's and thenyour/my fish eats the possibly/probable infected fish(s)
and disease is transmitted to otherwise healthy stock.
Just sayin.
Might be good excuse to set up another tank to raise healthy live food's on the chance the fish won't readily take to bit's of krill,shrimp,earthworm's.:wink2:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well put !! I'm always weary of buying them and throwing them in there as food. I did happen to get about 40 ghost shrimp and slowly add them. ... They disappear about as fast as I put them in. !!!! No ill issues but still I dont like the idea and know about these dirty tanks. I need to figure out how to breed ghost shrimp lol

time to look up some methods :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.