The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A little while ago i started enquiries for a 1200Lx600wx500h opticlear tank. local builders quoted me up to $2.5K so that was never going to happen. i then stumbled across the a 1200x500x500 at a sydney retailer but they had no new stock only the floor model (used in a scape) so then i started considering the komoda 1200x450x600 but really didn't want such a narrow front to back. then i got lucky with an offer of a custom komoda to a size i could choose at a price very hard to beat. So permission given from the wife, the tank was ordered and a 3 month wait started for it to be built and shipped out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Custom built Komoda - had to wait 3 months for it be built and shipped

1500x600x600

15mm

Skyclear Low iron glass

Beveled edges to all sides

Even came with dark grey foam mat.

Silicone is ludicrously clean, I've not actually seen anything this neat in Cade, Ada or Fire. They really went above and beyond for this tank as a test run.

Perhaps with enough demand/interest they may make more this size.

just look at it!

https://vimeo.com/163976181

couldn't resist shining some light into the cage

Reactions: rebelbuck1993

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Wow! What a beast.
What fish are you planning in putting in there?
Any specific purpose for getting such a big tank?
Are you going to put it on a stand?
Going to inject Co2 to get plants to fill it out?

You have been really bit by the aquarium bug severly!:surprise:
I would rather spend that money on a trip somewhere.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
very clean looking tank. just curious on price since its a equivalent to a 150 Gallon tank US.

How much would a tank like that cost in USD? Here in Australia we dont seem to have any tank builders with access to cheap low iron glass. This tank cost me less than 1/4 of the locally built price including sea transport from Asia.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! What a beast.
What fish are you planning in putting in there?
Any specific purpose for getting such a big tank?
Are you going to put it on a stand?
Going to inject Co2 to get plants to fill it out?

You have been really bit by the aquarium bug severly!:surprise:
I would rather spend that money on a trip somewhere.

Fish - CPD, Ottocinclus and dwarf corydoras species.
CRS and TB shrimp

Purpose of the tank is its amazing footprint to work with. I currently use an aquaone 980 and it just becomes overgrown far too quickly and the taller plants shade the lower ones.

Tank will be on a custom stand but not ADA style. The cabinet will house the sump and equipment and possible one end will be a wood storage area for our slow combustion fireplace (next to the tank)

Medium tech planted tank with low co2 injection.
Cal aqua labs black earth premium substrate with a selection of plants I already own. Full planting list to be confirmed but looking at a nature aquarium island style with driftwood and some emergent growth of mosses, ferns etc.

These are inspiration examples of my plan

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been searching around LFS for some hardscape material. I found a few pieces I liked, but most turned out to be far too big and dominating for what I want to achieve in this scape.

For example.

So I settled for a few smaller pieces of goldvine. I'll probably still add extra to play with the look by these 2 joined together are my front runners at the moment.

At home marking out tank dimensions on carpet.

Added an old piece I've had for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Started work on reconfiguring the sump/rack tank today.
Stanley knife & fishing line to separate the top middle part of dividers. This is to be replaced with an acrylic panel with secondary and emergency overflows cut into it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sad day today when i stripped down the old tank, but glad work has finally begun in earnest to see this project out.

Stand under construction

Leveling in position - floor was out 31mm side to side and 18 front to back.... that's a lot of packers

19mm AA grade marine ply cut and scribed to unsquare wall. Will be lime washed and sealed

Mark out for tank so we can begin plumbing layout.

I'm still not sure on how to drill this, right hand side, rear panel or base. Or the size but I do have a local glass guy I can use for the job.

Reactions: Ben Belton

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Seems like prettyndaunting construction, but it's going to be awesome when it's finished!
I didn't look into the conversion rates, but for a rimless equivalent to a 150 that doesn't sound too bad. I think I paid about $2500 - $2600 for my 265 and another $2500 - $2600 for the stand and canopy.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You look like a very competent builder and so probably know better than I do, but doesn't your stand design leave the tank "hanging" (as in the tank will be supported by screws instead of solid wood all the way to the floor)?
Would make me nervous as well. Cant help but get the feeling those ends will eventually bow without support as well. Id never trust all that weight on only screws, Ive seen things... terrible things.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I whole heartedly second the idea about adding additional supports, not supported by only screw shear strength.

I would double up the vertical supports on all four corners atleast.

Adding in additional supports to sister with the existing vertical support, butted between the top and bottom horizontal runs.

Nice wood looks like you’re building with

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the replies. We had those blocks in as a temporary measure to get the top leveled in position. We then measured between to cut the pieces to size to block it out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.