The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Thats crazy I wish I had a vet that works on fish! It would be so much cheaper than going out and buying other fish.
No way. I don't have one pet that cost more than one trip to a vet. The most expensive animal I have is a ten dollar rat. I've never paid more than six dollars for a fish, and all my cats were free. It would be hard to spend less than $50 for a trip to the vet.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
From the Article said:
There are veterinarians who remove tumors, use pins to repair broken fins, give CT scans, implant glass eyes and even embed cork into the backs of fish to solve swimming problems. Costs for surgery can range from $75 to $1,000. X-rays cost $85, a CT scan is about $300 and an MRI can cost up to $1,200.
Yea. I wouldn't pay for a vet visit for my fish.

·
Registered
520 Posts
There's only two fish that I'm 'attached' to: my BGK and my 4 1/2 yr old, 14inch oscar. I'm still not convinced that I'd take either to a vet.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Thats crazy I wish I had a vet that works on fish! It would be so much cheaper than going out and buying other fish.
Our local club (GSAS.org) has a member with a microscope and enough experience to identify the common ailments. When I had an large angel pass I froze it and he figured out why. Another good reason to support a club!

·
Registered
517 Posts
i have turtles that cost like 25 dollars each and i'm still debating whether to take them to a vet or not ... but fish??? no way jose not unless it was like a 2 foot arowana

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I'm just not sure what a vet could do that we couldn't.

Most of us have access to antifungal/antibacterial medications (except those states that do not allow it), and most fish disease is caused by improper care.

I suppose if you do have a show winning fish or a really good breeder then yes, perhaps one is justified.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I just think it's interesting because... most of the stuff they described being done (aside from the use of ultrasound equipment, etc) is detailed online on how to do it from home, with things you can get from relatively simple sources... Like, I've read how to insert pebbles into swimbladders and why it is that you use a slightly pointy pebble rather than a river-washed, smoothe one... (apparently, it forces the fish's immune system to keep the pebble inside and form tissue around it... or something)

Interesting how we're forced to be our own vets. I think that's kind of how it used to be with farm animals 'round two or three hundred years ago.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm just not sure what a vet could do that we couldn't.

Most of us have access to antifungal/antibacterial medications (except those states that do not allow it), and most fish disease is caused by improper care.

I suppose if you do have a show winning fish or a really good breeder then yes, perhaps one is justified.
I agree completely!

And Mangala has some good points as well, Most of what they do is commonly shared knowledge online....

Maybe I'll become a fish vet:sleep:

-Andrew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts