The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all of the awesome scores at the auction I did a re-scape of the 55 gal. Have it all looking pretty... fresh water..... new filter.... All smiles.

Wake up this morning to a dead tank. Well, partially dead. The topfin temporary heater I was using until I could get a inline heater cranked the heat up to 87. Fish....dead. Shrimp.....dead. Snails.....not sure, assuming some are dead. Amazingly enough, the ottos don't seem to care.

So, Justin, if you have any more shrimp, I now need again.

:icon_sad: :icon_sad: :icon_sad: :icon_sad: :icon_sad: :icon_sad:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about that!

Heater accidents happen so unexpectedly...I feel for you.... =( :icon_cry: :frown:

I've had heater problems in the past too - My bettas somehow managed to survive basically being cooked at 90+ degrees before. :mad:

I think heaters should have a "shut off" temp around 78-80 degrees, maybe even lower - I don't know of any fish that needs above 80 (except discus.)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Most of my fish seem to prefer 82 to 86... that's angels, female bettas, dwarf gouramis, otos... plants seem to like it, I was, however, surprised when one of my heaters went out and my bettas were doing ok at 70 degrees.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. I just lost a bunch of angel fry due to cooking and almost lost my clown knife in another tank due to the same thing... I have some cherries if you would like some.

·
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄
965 Posts
Sorry about your loss.
But I been there about 8 years ago lost 10 adult African Cichlids due to a fault ebo jager heater temp was over 90 and the smell was the worse ever.

·
Registered
734 Posts
:angryfire Man, that simply sucks swamp water - terribly sorry to hear of your awful loss. That's a fear of mine, especially after Tally lost her angel babies and plecos the same way. I bought the thermometers that have an alarm on them when it goes over the temp you set ... now just to put them ON the tanks! They're kinda pricey, but cheaper than loosing some valuable fish (either sentimenally valuable or monetarily). I cry with you. Loosing our babies is so hard. I lost one of my new fish from the auction, but that's only one so far - your loss is so much more tragic. How about you let us know what you lost, and if we can each pitch in a fish or two to help you... If you're coming to the meeting that could work...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are all great. I was actually about to put up a WTB thread. In all actualality, it could have been a lot worse. Two weeks prior, I pulled all six guromi and and two american flag killies and put them in a tank at school. So what I ended up loosing was two true SAE at abot 3 inches each, 1 large wood shrimp (hitch hiker), about 6 amano shrimp, and all except 2 (that I have seen) of 12 or so RCS juvies. Not sure about the snail population, I did see a few MTS on the move. As of this morning the temp. is back down into the 70's with the new heater set at 72 just in case. we'll see. Anybody hace a 'hot' (pun intended) lead on an inline heater? Or maybe a link to one of these alarms?

Many thanks to all and yes, I plan to attend friday willing to purchase new invert. stock, and maybe some fish.

·
Registered
734 Posts
They are called "Marina Aqua-Minder" and there's one on ebay now. I know the pet warehouses like PetSolutions carry them, but they are about $17 or so from them. I scored 5 of them off ebay from this same seller, but 5 was all she had at the time. Nice gal named Karin and here's the link for her auction. I know you can find them elsewhere as well now that you know the name of it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MARINA-AQUA...yZ117435QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I fear that the things you lost aren't things I have (except some cherry shrimp if you still need a few come time for the meeting). Wish I could help you more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.